NBD: Classic 50's Precision Lacquer...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vinnie Boombatz, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Inactive

May 26, 2010
    Just picked this sweet bass up this morning at the shop. Was hesitant to order one sight unseen, but I've had two of the non-lacquer versions in the past and they were both really nice, and this one is no exception. Slightly on the heavier side at 8.8lbs (the previous two were 8.4 and 8.6lbs).

Fit and finish appears perfect, lacquer finish looks great, neck is great, and even without a setup it sounds like every other Classic 50's P I've owned and played. The lacquer neck feels good. the tint is a bit dark, and reminiscent to the neck on a 2008 Fender 52AVRI "Pumpkincaster" Telecaster I used to own, getting that name from the orange tinted necks and bodies. Although not really "vintage accurate" the tint still does look really nice against the black body and anodized pickguard.

I have a set of covers I'll install and have a tug bar on the way to complete the look, and they'll stay on because I basically always play above the pickup toward the neck, so they wont interfere with my playing.

Only thing I can see so far that the bass needs is a set up. Nut slots need to be filed a bit as they're a bit high. I'm about to throw a set of La Bella 760FL's and give it a proper set up including addressing those nut slots.
    Here are some pictures.

Oh, and I'm sure some people will think this is blasphemy, but I sold my American Standard P to get this one...

zwyxs8F.jpg

0wucFjf.jpg

nNKSYFi.jpg

uh2EI2K.jpg

UfdQJTP.jpg

reddog, BurnOut, mcnach and 48 others like this.
  2. It certainly looks good you can't beat black & maple :thumbsup:. And as an owner of an Am.Std Precision (which has been in it's case since July) as long as your happy with your decision,then enjoy playing & owning your new bass :cool:.
    P.S If this was mine I would fit the tugbar :D.

Warhawk likes this.
  3. I'd trade an American Standard for that any day. Congrats Vinnie!!!

IPA and Vinnie Boombatz like this.
  4. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Inactive

May 26, 2010
    Tugbar is in the mail! Should be delivered sometime today!

Shawn Luckman likes this.
  5. saabfender

saabfender Inactive

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Major score! It'll darken up some as it gets some UV and some age on it. Looks great. Leaving the ashtray?

6. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    Congratulations! It really pops with the covers. I keep mine on, too. :thumbsup:

Vinnie Boombatz likes this.
  7. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Inactive

May 26, 2010
    Set the bass up, nut slots addressed, wears flats now, etc. She's all ready to go!

But with that said, I am almost considering throwing the rounds back on. Something I've noticed with every Classic 50's P I've owned is they just sound great for whatever reason with a set of broken in/dead rounds.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    Warhawk, Son of Wobble and Yahboy like this.
  8. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Congrat.

9. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Congrats dude! Looks awesome

10. Davey28

Davey28

Feb 19, 2015
    Gaylord, Mi.
    Very nice!!

11. MattB88

MattB88 Gold Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2016
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: LowEnd basses, DR Strings, Warm Audio, Shaw Audio
    I have the exact same one and mine is 8.8 lbs. we’re twins!

12. SleepyShark

SleepyShark

Feb 28, 2018
    The Low End
    Lookin' good! Not a P Bass guy, but I can always appreciate some Fender pictures.

It may sounds really silly, but I don't like how the vintage-style Class lines include the screw holes for the chrome hardware (which I would leave off like you have here, no hesitation). I know it's era-correct, which is great for people it appeals to. I'm sure it sounds great, though!

Edit: Apparently only the pickguard has the holes and not the body. Good to know for sure. Thanks, Vinnie!

13. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Inactive

May 26, 2010
    They don't include the screw holes. I'll have to drill them for the covers. Only the pickguard had the holes in it, but they aren't in the body.

14. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    A looker. Love the tint along with the trays and eventually the tug bar. :) Origination?

15. SleepyShark

SleepyShark

Feb 28, 2018
    The Low End
    Oh wow that changes things! So someone like me could even swap out the pickguard and problem solved. Thanks for the info!

16. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Inactive

May 26, 2010
    For sure. The anodized pickguard is nice though because it's basically a template for exactly where to drill if you decide to install a cover and tug bar, and then you just eyeball the bridge cover and don't mess up! But yes, no holes in the body at all from the factory.

17. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Inactive

May 26, 2010
    Not sure what you mean by origination. Care to clarify?

18. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Inactive

May 26, 2010
    Got to play the bass most of the day and it's pretty much exactly how I remember the other two non-lacquer Classic 50's I've had. Although they're all going to sound different from bass to bass, these Classic 50's, regardless of the finish, have a sort of signature tone thats fat, warm and woody. And dare I say that the poly versions I've had in the past sound basically the same, and I am not one to believe that the finish has any influence on the basses overall tone/sound. In my opinion I think the combination of the wide neck along with the vintage-style bridge are major contributors to the Classic 50's sound. I experienced this in the past with a 1976 P I had that came with a Badass II bridge. I replaced the Badass II with a vintage Fender bridge and the bass came alive again with that classic woody thump, while the Badass seem to rob the bass of the woody sound.

Flats sounds great on this bass. I have GHS Boomers on my other bass (Classic 70's Jazz) and that gets a really nice grindy growl, and this is pretty much the exact opposite with a dry, percussive thump. They compliment each other very well.

19. 2F/2F

2F/2F

May 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Congratulations. That looks sweet.

I just bought a '58 AVRI, and I was torn between one that looked like yours and a blonde one. I went with the blonde, but still like the black just as much, if not better.

I like this line a lot for the money, but the neck tint is over the top for my personal taste. I can't "do" these as they come, for that reason alone. Still, it might some day be worth my while to get one on the used market and then strip and refinish the neck (which is a fairly easy job in the grand scheme of all things refinishing).

I'm assuming it has standard MIM thick poly sealer coat under the lacquer on the body. Is that the case?

20. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    AZ
    Definitely the best Precision bass for the money. Mine weighs in at 8 lbs 6 oz.

Congratulations on the new baby!

I'm tempted to install the covers, but don't want to drill anything right now.

For origination I'd say the answer is made in Mexico.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021