1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD: Cliff Bordwell 5 string Dola

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mexibass, Feb 17, 2015.

1. mexibass

mexibass

Feb 12, 2012
    Cozumel, México
    I just received my custom Cliff Bordwell Dola 5 string bass, and I have to tell you, this is a true masterpiece. I’ve owned a few boutique basses like Foderas, Pedullas and such, and this wonderful bass matches the quality of those brands and cost 2 or 3 times less! How can you go wrong? There’s 4 or 5 different shapes to choose from, and Cliff guides you patiently through the whole process from the conception of the bass in your mind till the selection of the electronics, and everything in between. He’s always very communicative either by email or phone regarding any doubts or requests you might have related to your build, and that my friends, is priceless.

The bass is really lightweight, just as I ordered. The balance is perfect. The neck is really comfortable and the whole instrument sings without being plugged. The electronics are neatly installed, and in general the bass sounds and feels awesome either just thru my amps and cabs or in a general mix thru the in house PA. I haven’t had the chance to record anything with it but I’ll do it soon.

The attention to detail in the construction process is second to none. I hate to be repetitive, but I keep thinking that this bass really looks and feels like a very, very expensive bass without a doubt. I had a hard time trying to pick up a top among all the beautiful tops that Cliff has in store, but I definitely chose a great looking top. It looks like a Van Gogh painting if you look from a close distance!

I just wanted to say, you don’t have to save for a decade to get yourself a bass that sounds and plays great, and that is also a piece of art that could easily belong to any museum. Just get in touch with Cliff, you won’t be disappointed!

image-2. image-3. image-4. image-5. image-6. image-8. image-9. image-10. image.

2. 77stingray

77stingray Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Atlanta
    Fantastic looking bass. Did it come with that gig bag? Also just curious if you had a lot of up charges on this? What were they? Congrats!

3. lowendmafia

lowendmafia Blue Jays! Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Phoenix, Arizona
    So nice, I had a fanned fret 5 string singlecut a while back... have always regretted selling it.

mexibass likes this.
  4. Congrats! That's a fine looking instrument.

mexibass likes this.
  5. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Gorgeous!! Congrats!!! :bassist:

mexibass likes this.
  6. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Wow that's beautiful! Will you gig it? I'd be awful scared to muck that one up.

mexibass likes this.
  7. mexibass

mexibass

Feb 12, 2012
    Cozumel, México
    Nope, I got that bag here in Mexico. A great deal. It's a Reunion Blues Aero. Super lightweight yet really sturdy. Compliments perfectly my Bordwell. :) And the up charges were about $350, that money went to the P and Dual coil pups by Norsdtrand, the full-faced top, the 3 mini switches, the custom inlay at the 12th fret and the Luminlay side dots.

8. mexibass

mexibass

Feb 12, 2012
    Cozumel, México
    I think it was your bass that made me find out about Cliff, while I was searching for an alternative to a Dingwall.

9. mexibass

mexibass

Feb 12, 2012
    Cozumel, México
    Thank you guys! I'm really happy with this bass. The real purpose of this review is to give props to the master builder himself :). Runnerman, I already gigged with it a couple of times, and yeah, I'm afraid to scratch or dent it but well... I don't have much use for it at home other than studying :p

Joshua Pickenpaugh likes this.
  10. I see that you are in Cozumel. I used to be there once a week for many years (cruise ship bass player). Man, do I miss Ernesto's Fajitas! :)

11. mexibass

mexibass

Feb 12, 2012
    Cozumel, México
    They're not bad, but you gotta let me show u around next time ur here man :). I'm also looking to get on the cruise ships someday!!

Joshua Pickenpaugh likes this.
  12. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    Great pics of the bass!
    Enjoy the bass for many years.

13. mexibass

mexibass

Feb 12, 2012
    Cozumel, México
    Thanks bro... I LOVE IT!

14. TapyTap

TapyTap

Apr 26, 2005
    Thanks for the photos. What are the specifications?

15. blowinblue

blowinblue Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    Beautiful bass. So how long did it take from sending in/transferring the deposit until actual delivery? Please don't sugarcoat it. We wanna know. :nailbiting:

M. M.

16. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Interesting how a lot of these single cuts seen from the back really look more like double cuts with a thin "bridge" top layer connecting the upper horn to the neck.

17. mexibass

mexibass

Feb 12, 2012
    Cozumel, México
    34' scale
    Nordstrand pickups
    Aguilar obp3
    Hipshot hardware
    18 mm string spacing

18. mexibass

mexibass

Feb 12, 2012
    Cozumel, México
    No need for that ;). I placed the deposit in November 2013, and the bass was completed by January 2015, just like Cliff promised. He does batches of 4 basses at a time, I think. I'm guessing it takes him around 3 months to complete each batch. Of course this may vary, but rest assured, Cliff is always there to answer any doubts/requests you might have during the process, either by email or phone. I can't recommend him enough! :)

blowinblue likes this.
  19. 47th Street

47th Street Akk cent chew ate The Positive Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
    THAT'S your first clue!
    Lord, it's beautiful! :thumbsup:

20. mexibass

mexibass

Feb 12, 2012
    Cozumel, México