NBD- CME “shell” pink Squier VI

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nFinnyD, Nov 24, 2021.

1. nFinnyD

nFinnyD

Oct 31, 2017
    Utah
    So saw this preorder deal for a Bass VI. Being that I play both guitar and bass a lot, I always wanted to try one, but never got a chance. Wanted to order one but was never into the sunburst, black, or white. Enter this Shell Pink, which in my opinion is just pink but I still would’ve gotten it.

As such, I can’t compare it to other Squier VIs or other brand VIs. I haven’t gotten to properly play it though my rig or pedalboard, either. I’ve only played it through my Nu-X Mighty Plug.

I must say that I’m impressed so far. On the bass amp sims it sound very close to my standard(similar, of course, it’s not going to sound like a Dingwall) basses. And it sounds great on the guitar sims as well.

Fit and finish is really good, pickguard could’ve been a little cleaner cut and other nitpicky things for a $500 instrument. CME set it up well, I assume. The checklist card says as much and is a nice touch.

The feel really trips my hands out. Hearing bass range but holding a guitar feeling neck… it feels comfy but a little surreal. I’m definitely getting some hybrid picking/plucking techniques worked out.

I could see this being a bass I gig a ton. I’ll probably always bring a standard bass, too, but this thing is going to open up some of the parts my band writes that have t been able to translate to live performances. We have a keys/synth player, guitar/keys player, drummer, and I did bass and synth with occasional grabbing of guitars. This(especially with an octave up) will make so really cool options and abilities.

The stock strings(in E standard) haven’t seemed as bad as I’d heard, but I also will be tuning it down to D standard and have already gotten a set of .106 and .124 Kalium strings. I’m sure that’ll be a whole different level.

This is the first Squier instrument I’ve ever had that felt like a keeper. Every other one has been gone within a year. I guess we’ll see!

E55DAF03-09FB-4C95-8F4A-DF9ACC8D5E93.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Chances are that the negative reviews of the stock Fender strings you may have heard were about the older discontinued set that had comparatively tiny low strings (some of the reviews you read on shop sites are actually reviews about the old ones that have the same product page). They updated the one Fender VI set last year with the current one that keeps the three higher strings the same while significantly bumping up the gauges of the three lower strings- the consistently critiqued string from the old set was the .084 gauge low-E string, which is now a .100 (so the old E was more like a downtuned standard A string, on a short-scale to boot!). I'm pretty sure those old Fender gauges were a big reason the Vintage Mod Squier Bass VI wasn't an immediate hit (now demand for them has gone through the roof as people have figured out the strings and other tricks to make them play/sound amazing). D'addario currently makes Fender's strings, and they still make their own D'addario branded set in the older Fender gauges so you can compare and contrast. My VI is a Vintage Modified that originally came with the older Fender set and I can verify that the new set is a HUGE upgrade that works just great for me tuned down to D standard . In general I find larger gauges on a short-scale to start to suffer tonally after a point, in much the same way fat B strings on a 34" 5-string often are a let-down- for me the highest gauge I've liked on a 30" scale E downtuned to D is a .105, after that and the lowest string starts to get too much inharmonic mud happening. I haven't tried Kaliums though as there were too many reviews about unpredictable extended wait-times for their strings when I picked up my VI that put me off.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  3. nFinnyD

nFinnyD

Oct 31, 2017
    Utah
    I definitely hesitated on the Kaliums, but took a chance and I got them in 5 days from the order date.

68Tele-Bass and sunbeast like this.
  4. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I may have to try a set then! The new Fender sets have often been on sale through Sweetwater though so I've picked up probably enough sets for a few years at this rate.
    It may have been some people being unreasonable during Covid, but I think the Kalium issues have been happening for a few years. Glad they seem to have things back in order

68Tele-Bass and nFinnyD like this.
  5. oftenest

oftenest

May 29, 2017
    Oh wow, that’s a bass after my own heart. Congrats on the NBD, and let us know how it works out as you gig it! Does anyone know if this a one-off for CME?

nFinnyD likes this.
  6. nFinnyD

nFinnyD

Oct 31, 2017
    Utah
    It was a joint effort by CME and Thomson. CME, at least, has hinted there may be other VIs in the works but were pretty noncommittal when asked if they’d do more runs of the pink.

Ok! And I’ll probably use it in some recordings for my band before that, I’ll post em up as we get done with them.

oftenest likes this.
  7. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    That pink VI looks funky as all heck .
    I picked up a burst VI a while back , can’t keep my hands off it .

8. Mike Vee

Mike Vee

Oct 8, 2012
    Los Angeles
    what kind of fretboard is that? Looks WAY better than PF.

9. nFinnyD

nFinnyD

Oct 31, 2017
    Utah
    It says Laurel. It definitely looks nice and dark and rosewoody. I’m not a species snob, I even prefer(would pay extra) Ebony that’s streaky and fun. If I wanted solid black there’s several composite materials that are inexpensive.

10. HCF

HCF Of course, YMMV

Nov 30, 2008
    Amsterdam
    Love it! :drool:

nFinnyD likes this.
  11. The Bass Abides

The Bass Abides

Mar 3, 2019
    Love it! Shell pink is by far my favorite finish! Well done!!

12. skycruiser

skycruiser Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2019
    Texas
    Cool bass! Congrats OP!

nFinnyD likes this.
  13. Mike Vee

Mike Vee

Oct 8, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I like anything but dry, light colored PF. It just looks so dry and doesn't contrast any body color well.

nFinnyD likes this.
  14. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    That’s awesome! Enjoy! There’s a real 1963 locally at a shop. Guess what, out of my price range. That she’ll pink is sweet.

nFinnyD likes this.
  15. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Looks great!
    I got Kalium 106 for mine, years ago. Ordered 4 sets, took about two weeks and made a massive difference over the stock .84 low E.

nFinnyD likes this.
  16. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Glad my phone found time to correct my spelling.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 6, 2021