1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD coming!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by songwriter21, Oct 27, 2013.

1. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Just grabbed a MM Big Al 5 SSS from Bass Central! The videos I looked at are very impressive, and I wanted something with some serious authority.

Thoughts?

2. I'd never buy a bass online/order one without trying it first.

Other than that, good luck! Let's hope it's a keeper. :)

3. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    If you only buy basses you can try first, you are seriously limiting your options, and ruling out custom builds altogether. That standard TalkBass response is getting pretty old.

You made a good, safe choice. You bought a brand known for consistent quality from a seller known for exceptional service. It is pretty much guaranteed to be a great player, or else the BC and MM will be there to make it right. You'll have lots of tone options, too. Whether you will like it is as much about the specific bass as it is the model.

All in all, I'd say you made a smart, safe choice. Enjoy it!

4. CBNJ

CBNJ Sorry brother.

Feb 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    I've never played a bass before buying it..

5. SRFSterling5

SRFSterling5

Sep 24, 2011
    Hawaii
    Never tried before I bought either. Purchased two basses from Bass Central, Fbass BN5 and a Fodera E5S and am very happy with
    both the basses and the service. Beaver, Grasshopper and Mike are great people to deal with. Congratulations on the new purchase.

6. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I have bought over 50 without trying them first. Sometimes it is the only way. I would never have tried a Fodera, Roscoe, Sadowsky, G&L, Benevente and many other brands otherwise. I surprisingly only ended up buying 2 dogs during that time. One bass was in rougher shape than advertised and another was heavier than I was told (12lb 77 Jazz and I was told it was 9lbs). Much less risk on new basses as most can be returned.

I bet the Big Al will be perfect and sound/play killer!

7. RawOrange

RawOrange Not really an orange Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2009
    Southeast Wisconsin
    My Big Al 4 is one of the most incredible basses I have played.

You will love it!!

8. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    To the first responder, there aren't any stores around here that have basses out of the ordinary...really bland choices. So, getting sight-unseen basses is my only choice.

I also (for other users' replies) dealt with Mike, and he seems like a good guy. I asked him if the action could go low enough, and he said it could. That was the deciding factor. He said he'll set it up with that and a flat neck (no relief), how I like it, so that was welcomed.

9. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    I'll post a pic tommorow at work. My phone isn't working with the mobile or desktop versions.

10. RaginRog

RaginRog Last guy you want to see is Employee Relations guy

Nov 29, 2009
    Formerly Staten Island
    Funky design...a definite like.
    Congrats

11. I have the same bass. I still love it 2 years ish later. Killer bass.

12. Jeb

Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    USA
    Can't add anything to this. Good post. I'll second it, enjoy that bass!

13. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    It is a nice bass with lots of sounds in it. The looks are an acquired taste.

14. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    You'll quickly discover that the Big Al 5-SSS is a fantastic playing bass that will provide you with a lot of versatility tone wise. I just past my 3rd year anniversary of owing my Big Al 5. Just a killer bass! And personally, And FWIW, I love the body style!

TD

15. Cool.

16. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    This.

Report back with a god review please! I have been pondering one of those. For reference, OP, what other 5s do you have? I would be curious about a comparison.

Either way, ENJOY!

17. I'm just south of you here in WV. And, boy, are you right about not having much to choose from when it comes to basses. I purchased 4 of my 7 current basses like that. It's kinda spooky at first, dishin' cash out for something you haven't heard, or felt. Hell, it's become second nature to me now.

Which pup configuration for the Big Al did you decide on?

18. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Two Fingers, I had a Japanese '02 Ibanez Prestige BTB. Best sounding bass I've ever had, but the 35" scale and 19mm were a bitch. I still wanted something with weight (actually liked the heavy Ibby), a mahogany body, and with bolt construction. I'm not a fan of the "open" sound of neck-thrus.

Millsbass5, I got the three single-coil config.

19. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    All of mine have come from online sources, including some high end ones. If you go eBay and the seller has 100% positive seller feedback you shouldn't have any problems if you do your homework first. I live in rural Iowa. There ain't no tryin em first!

20. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Here she be!

Attached Files: