1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD - Cool Finish Stingray w MOJO! Lots of Pictures

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Just picked this up. Only had a few minutes with her and I need to set her up to my liking, but so far, so good.

A previous owner installed what looks to be a replica of the vintage style MM 2 band pre. I also have the MM 3 band (I'm debating on which to keep in her). Can anyone here identify the installed preamp by my pictures? Scroll down a few posts for the pics of it. EDIT - the preamp has now been confirmed to be an older Nordstrand 2-band with a boost only bass and a boost/cut treble config.

Finish has cracked and worn and it doesn't bother me in the least (as a matter of fact, I totally dig it)!

Anyway, here are the pics. Enjoy and comment (both positive and negative comments welcome)! Also, let me know if any of you know what this preamp is.
    PSX_20180104_100133. PSX_20180104_100151. PSX_20180104_093449. IMG_20180104_100448. IMG_20180104_100521__01. PSX_20180104_100249. PSX_20180104_093325. PSX_20180104_100230. PSX_20180104_093349. IMG_20180104_100627__01. PSX_20180104_093432. PSX_20180104_093409. PSX_20180104_100209.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  2. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Congrats!

3. brocco

brocco

Feb 27, 2010
    Very Nice

4. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Trans orange, nice! :thumbsup:

5. Quadzilla

Had to post the preamps pics here (they were messed up in the original post). EDIT - the preamp has now been confirmed to be an older Nordstrand 2-band with a boost only bass and a boost/cut treble config.

1. 2.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    DJCalamari likes this.
  6. Quadzilla

With the worn, cracked finished option... LoL. ;-)

7. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Do you maintain a list of basses that you don't currently and have never owned?

Quadzilla likes this.
  8. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Nice acquisition!

Quadzilla likes this.
  9. Quadzilla

LMAO!

10. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Very nice! How does the 2 band preamp sound in it? Close to the original 2 band rays?
    I love the 2 band rays, but I currently have a 3 bander (BFR) that I'm really really digging so it would be a hard call for me to keep it original or keep the replica.

11. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Looks ready to do some serious thumpin' my friend!

12. Quadzilla

So the upgraded 2-band sounds pretty damn awesome! I had my tech take a peak at it and he said that whoever built the 2-band pre used some very high-end components. I'm really digging it. Not sure who built it. My tech said that it looks reminiscent of some older Nordstrand builds.

I also have a stock MM 3-band I could toss in her, but thus far, I don't have any desire to as this 2-band sounds so damn good!

mouthmw likes this.
  13. codiak

codiak

Mar 16, 2017
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I am watching this same bass on Reverb right now. Super cool transparent red finish.

Quadzilla likes this.
  14. Quadzilla

You mean that you were watching it! She's no longer in your watch-list now that I bought it earlier this week! ;-)

15. toomanyslurpees

toomanyslurpees

Jan 21, 2009
    I was going to guess that might have been made by a guy named David who had a company called SGD? He was making them before Norstrand but mine came with Bournes full sized pots... my one from Nordstrand came with the same pots you have there so I think I would lean to that being the better guess...

Quadzilla likes this.
  16. Quadzilla

17. Quadzilla

It's pretty much confirmed now that it's an early Nordstrand (see above post). I love the fact that the bass is boost only but the treb is boost and cut (per the specs listed on Best Bass Gear). That's what my ears also told me.

18. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    It's awesome. If it plays right (after setup) and none of the electronics are flaky - as in nothing crackles or cuts in and out, and (of course) you can get pleasing and useful tones out of it, don't change a thing. It's pretty and definitely looks like a keeper. All the cosmetic stuff that doesn't bother you just gives you street cred in my opinion. Also if someone was thinking about stealing it at a gig, having some dings just makes it a little less likely to disappear on you.

Contgrats-Enjoy-Great Find!!

19. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

nice score! the bass looks great. glad you like the sound. congrats on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

Quadzilla likes this.
  20. nice find fred , enjoy it !!

Quadzilla likes this.