1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

NBD! Dingwall Super J

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Paul Spacebass, May 7, 2016.

1. So I bit the bullet and ordered this guy:
    bZb4fOl.jpg I6t5ck4.jpg 0bB6oPH.jpg

Swamp ash body in transparent white and passive. Super stoked. It will show up monday morning. Dingwalls are hard to come by here in Germany, and when I saw this guy in the shop while helping a friend choose a bass, it was insta gas. You rarely say this, but....Monday can't come soon enough!

2. Then I'll congratulate you Monday.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  3. Nice bass mate, roll on Monday!!!!

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Nice choice, welcome to the club! That one sure is a looker :D Join us over at the Dingwall Club:
    Dingwall Owners Club

Paul Spacebass likes this.
  5. Blaargh

Blaargh

Apr 4, 2016
    Hnnnng.

I'm not normally a fan of non-Fender Js (I'm not really sure why, but I'm just not), but that's gorgeous. Swamp ash always has such nice grain patterns.

6. Will do!

The transparent white on swamp ash was what first caught my eye. I'll grab some more detailed pics of the grain as soon as I can.

7. After practice edit: Holy strawberries batman this thing jams! I started by playing a few riffs in standard tuning to get used to it. Even with the original strings it sounded warm and huge. Now I may get some flak for this, but I tune my basses to Low A Standard, at the least the ones I use in my band. With the DR DDT65 strings (65-85-105-125) on my Rics it works out great. I wanted to test out this guy in the same tuning, so I tossed some GHS bass boomers I had lying around on there (50-70-95-115). Immediately locked into tune and the low notes sounded so thick. Playing with the pickup selector and tone pot you can creat some amazing sounds. It goes from warm mellow bass, to agressive mid/treble attack with the turn of a knob. I mostly used it in the both pickups/series position. Super awesome lows and defined clarity.

Getting used to the fanned frets took all of two minutes. Above the 12th fret took a bit longer, and as I dont play chords much, this wasn't too much of a problem. I can see, and have read, that on the extended scale dingwalls it takes a bit to get used to. As for the Super J, the E string is 34.5" and the G string 32". Plays extremely fluid, and like a medium scale bass. Around the 5th-7th fret, it played exactly like my Ric(which has a super thin jazz style neck). Not a single dead spot or quieter spot at any fret was to be found either. The only real thing I had to get used to, were the Banjo frets. Being used to frets that are normally a bit larger, in the long run this made it easier to play.

Overall I would give this thing 9.5 out of 10. Especially for people with smaller hands like myself.

Bonus: a few more pics of the grain.

scourgeofgod and Dark Horse like this.
  8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Very cool. Congrats.

9. Congratulations on the beautiful new bass!!

That sure is a looker.

10. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

nice, really nice! she's (he's?) a looker. congratulations!

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 16, 2021