1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD: Discontinued Squier content

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kukulkan61, May 4, 2017.

1. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Just scored this mint CV 60s P Bass, I paid less than what it retailed for including shipping, I'm liking it so far just gotta lower the action and it's GTG! These are getting harder to find and when you do find one they want 500-600 or 20170504_125916. more..maybe hold on to it and see if it appreciates thru the years...forgot to mention it as StewMac pups and wiring harness sounds really nice!!
    Thanks for looking!!

Last edited: May 5, 2017
    Yahboy, mikeyjm2, BassmanM and 6 others like this.
  2. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Love mine. I'm on my 5th one. Not sure if they will appreciate in value but I sure do appreciate them !!

3. A true funk machine. I love mine. Enjoy.

Kukulkan61 and lowdownthump like this.
  4. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Upgraded bridge?

Yah i love my Matt Freeman! The only other legit one I've seen for sale they want $799. Dreaming, definitely. But interesting that they feel they can ask that much.

EdO. and Kukulkan61 like this.
  5. Kukulkan61

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    You have 5 of these??

6. Kukulkan61

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    ya it came with the Omega bridge but the stock bridge came with it too..knobs too..
    I had a white Matt F. Regret selling it, actually parted it out..:crying:

7. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    No. I've had 5 different ones at different times . My first one was Fiesta Red. It was really light weight but the neck moved too much.
    Next came sonic blue but it was too heavy.
    Had a Matt Freeman with CV60's neck and pickup swap. Traded it for a CIJ 7o's Pbass.
    Next came Eva Gardner signature Pbass which is the CV60's with Matt Freeman pickup and Jazz neck.
    Found another Fiesta Red CV60's and sold the Eva. This one isn't too heavy and it isn't going anywhere. Fiesta Red / rosewood/ TI flats & my favorite neck profile = a keeper!!

bassestkkm and Kukulkan61 like this.
  8. Kukulkan61

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Neck moving????

9. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Yep. Wouldn't hold the setup .I think that one had a bad neck. No problems with the others.

10. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Best basses out there for the money.

seang15, Kukulkan61 and lowdownthump like this.
  11. Love my Matt Freeman too. Got it about 6 months ago off the local Craigslist for $175. Easily the equivalent of the two earlier 70's Fender P's I gigged with back in the day. People are asking $800 for them now??

nonohmic, Kukulkan61 and lowdownthump like this.
  12. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Well someone is at least, can't imagine they're worth that much yet. But they are discontinued.

13. Tom0Blam0

Tom0Blam0 Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2014
    I love the look of these things. I had one for a hot second and just couldn't bond with the neck (used to jazz). Enjoy!

Kukulkan61 likes this.
  14. Kukulkan61

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    The neck is comfy for me and I like Jazz necks better too, it's not chunky like the neck was on my 61 P bass rather thin in comparison actually..

15. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    I regret selling my Sonic Blue CV 60s. P. I was not crazy about the sound in a band setting but I imagine some new pots/wiring and flats would have fixed that had I simply had the patience. It was a good bass and I did not give it the opportunity to shine.

EdO. likes this.
  16. Kukulkan61

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    There's one for sale on Reverb as we speak 450.00 kinda high price tho..

17. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    I got mine from my local Best Buy when they were closing the music section for $235.

seang15 and Kukulkan61 like this.
  18. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Neat! That's how I got my first CV Jazz! :thumbsup:

I called up a bunch of stores and asked the CSR's if they had any models with this-or-that SKU number. I got a hit on one at the Best Buy in Princeton, NJ. (Lawrenceville, actually, but everything from there to Plainsboro would rather say they're in Princeton. It sounds classier. :rolleyes:) I got there, but it was nowhere to be found in their slowly disappearing Musical Instruments department, so I asked if they could have someone in the Inventory department snoop around for it.

It's worth mentioning that I have enough retail-job experience to despise the annoying, all-too-frequent question, "Do you have anymore in the back?", but some of my retail experience includes Best Buy, so I knew full-well it was a valid question in that particular case.

Sure enough, they hauled a brandy-brand-new Squier Classic Vibe Jazz, still sealed up in an intact and unopened box! Bonus! Also, the guy working the counter back there had no problem with me opening it up to inspect it. Double-bonus, especially given the state of the worst VM Jazz I've ever encountered that was hanging up on the racks. (Seriously, that singular bass was miserable, both to hold and to listen to! :thumbsdown:) Fortunately, the CV Jazz was in perfect condition, so back home it went with me! :smug:

Since then, I've owned a total of two CV Jazzes, plus I currently own two necks for various parts-bass projects. And yes, I agree…they have an amazing Bang:Buck ratio. Despite being lousy with Jazzes 'round here, I may have to snag a James Johnston Jazz before they go the Way of the Dodo.

DSCF0674_zpsbreerk8g.

seang15 likes this.
  19. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    I don't think I'll stretch that far for that bass. That's half the cost of a decent used MIA Fender.

20. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    I love mine, this CV60p is alternative poor man Fender AVRi 63p to me.

Now she got a new friend ~ CV50P

IMG_20170330_005050 up.

lowdownthump and Kukulkan61 like this.