1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD: Doublesided Headless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kslight, Apr 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. kslight

kslight

Jun 21, 2004
    ABD0F98B-81E8-4B9C-B322-7DAF27BE7EAD. 443FF069-2E69-4168-940E-0E2CEBCE5696. DF0860DF-8E6A-4730-BF67-F99C863CA00E.

Long time lurker, rare poster.... but check out this strange beast that I got yesterday for review.

Surprisingly the thickness of the neck is not as difficult to play as you might guess. This is setup with “overlord of music” bridges and unknown pickups.

For that gig where you play bass but you need to play rhythm guitar when your guitar player has a solo? :bassist:

2. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    well there's something you don't see every day.

that neck has to be horrible to play on...

3. kslight

kslight

Jun 21, 2004

Not really. Certainly "different" but I wouldn't say horrible. It definitely feels weird to go back and pickup one of my "normal" guitars afterwards though..

4. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I'm guessing there is no truss rod? I'm not sure a little truss rod could flex a 2x4 anyway...

5. kslight

kslight

Jun 21, 2004
    D3F91010-2A06-4FAE-A1DD-AA73D66CCAE9.
    There is a truss for each side. I replaced the strings on the guitar side to 11-52s and adjusted the neck and bridge.

6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Kinda makes sense. I put salt & pepper in the same shaker so as to save table space.

Riis

7. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Somebody please explain to me how that could possibly work.

lz4005 likes this.
  8. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    I was going to ask the same thing.
    How do you not put the reverse curve into the opposite side of the neck when you adjust one of the rods?

wvbass likes this.
  9. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    To be clear: I'm not knocking the OP's guitar. It is weird. (Well, it is.) It may also be well made, completely playable, and a lot of fun. I just don't see how a truss rod or two can simultaneously bend the same piece of wood in two different directions. I'm also not sure how massive a truss rod it would take to move that particular neck.

10. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    It looks like it's only 51". I dislike dishonesty in teddy bears. Measurements please.

11. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    E5E500B0-7F62-4D5E-9D84-96F8A8DD89A5.

12. kslight

kslight

Jun 21, 2004

No worries, it is absolutely...unusual. I’ll be putting together a proper review when I’ve had some more time with it.

wvbass likes this.
  13. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    It's a combo dual action truss rod/strap button.

wvbass likes this.
  14. My bass needs a head to feel complete. My body, not so much.

15. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

interesting take on a specific 'moment'. fun(ny)!

16. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I've heard it said that nobody got more neck out of less wood than Leo Fender, but it finally happened.

17. Brother Goose

Brother Goose The Process IS the Reward!

Dec 4, 2013
    Syracuse NY
    God Is Love
    That is bizarre and wonderful... And I hope it gets a chance to make good music.

18. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    Having two trussrods on opposite sides of a single plank of a neck seems like a futile exercise. Surely they will be fighting each other?

Unusual also to see two single coils in that configuration on the guitar side.

Presumably you need to carry a guitar and a bass rig, and an A/B splitter box?

lz4005 likes this.
  19. Now don't laugh, I work in catering & events right now and there are certain times where we will use a combination salt and pepper shaker... two separate compartments in the same body! Just like this guitar!! :laugh: