NBD - Dream Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DrThumpenstein, Jan 4, 2021.

1. DrThumpenstein

DrThumpenstein Living for the groove Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    St Louis, MO
    I've not been shy about publicly pining for a Fodera Yin Yang Standard for quite some time now. I had read mostly good things and heard some great demos, but couldn't find one to try in StL. @bassbuddha had one in the classifieds, and there it sat, calling to me. But the pandemic had severely cut into the disposable income, so I bumped it a month ago with a post wishing that 2020 wasn't such a tight year. Fast forward to the end of the year, and it turns out that we had overtightened our belts during the worst of it, so we had a little make-up bonus at the end of the year. I knew JUST what to do with mine!
    20210104_210847.jpg
    This bass plays like a dream!

@bassbuddha kindly put fresh Fodera ultralight rounds on it. The action is really low and there is NO fret buzz. I usually play flats with slightly higher action, but I'm not changing anything for now. It plays so nicely as is.

I am really digging the preamp. I've played it for a good hour and I am thrilled with the playability and tonal palette. I've run through some Al Di Meola, Santana, STP, Police, Marley, and Steely Dan and found good tones for them all. I had the WD-800 set flat and just played with different techniques and settings. Pick, fingers, it responds to techniques beautifully. Harmonics SING on this thing!

Slim, fast neck, just the way I like. Slides are easy despite the rounds. Josie was never funkier in my hands! (Although no doubt considerably funkier in Chuck's!)

Truly a dream come true! I couldn't be happier with this bass!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  2. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Congrats on a dream bass!! It’s such a great feeling to finally get “the one”

3. DrThumpenstein

Feb 8, 2015
    St Louis, MO
    I recently posted on a thread about how long it takes to decide whether a bass is a keeper, and I said for me, five minutes. I was a little nervous about even trying it out, knowing that I would really be disappointed if it wasn't a player. So I'm EXTRA thrilled that it feels so good in my hands!

Spidey2112 and SirMjac28 like this.
  4. Eon Sky

Eon Sky Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Pacific Northwest
    Congratulations! That's a stunner.

DrThumpenstein likes this.
  5. StevieMac

StevieMac

Mar 17, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Awesome, congrats!

6. DrThumpenstein

Feb 8, 2015
    St Louis, MO
    Thanks! The pics hardly do justice to that wavy maple. And the ebony fretboard is such a rich contrast.

With fresh rounds it's hard to say how much brightness the ebony board adds, but it plays great.

7. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    Oh that is a lovely looking YYS, enjoy it! Congrats!

8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

What a beauty! Congrats on scoring your dream bass! :bassist:

9. DrThumpenstein

Feb 8, 2015
    St Louis, MO
    Thanks! I had done all the research I could do without actually getting my hands on one. I knew it was a looker and wasn't too concerned about electronics or neck dimensions or that sort of thing.

But the pictures don't show how solid it feels. It is a 4-bolt neck but it feels like it's carved out of a single block of wood. Balance is great and build quality is just superb. Playability is amazing. It's the things you can't see that had me swallowing hard when I pulled the trigger.

And it's nice to see how well it has been cared for. Perfect setup, strings installed with 3 wraps around the posts, pristine condition, arrives a day ahead of schedule, and almost perfectly in tune. Plug and play.

Then unplug. I keep forgetting...

10. hopwheels

hopwheels Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2015
    Atlanta, GA
    Beautiful! Congrats!

11. DrThumpenstein

Feb 8, 2015
    St Louis, MO
    Thanks!

Digging that sweet new axe of yours too!

hopwheels likes this.
  12. gitarrenhai

gitarrenhai

Aug 19, 2019
    Nice, congrats! Play it in good health!

So...

what's your next dream bass? ;-)

BassmanM and DrThumpenstein like this.
  13. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    That's just gorgeous congrats

Spidey2112 and DrThumpenstein like this.
  14. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    Congratulations on finding your dream bass! :thumbsup:

15. mistermikev

mistermikev

Nov 3, 2015
    beautiful bass, for the record I haven't bought one of these only because then I would literally have zero excuses why I can't play classical thump............ so......... elephant in room........ got a link to your video of classical thump? I'll wait. woot woot.

16. DrThumpenstein

Feb 8, 2015
    St Louis, MO
    Gotta confess, I was also eyeing a MM Ray 5-string, which actually would fit in with my current band a lot better. But screw 'em, my GAS fund is currently and officially in need of replenishment!

But that's just regular GAS right there. This one stirs my soul. I am an acupuncturist, which is a bit unusual for a medical doc in the US. I'm not exactly a practicing Buddhist, but I am deeply into Eastern philosophies and the perspectives that they bring to life. So to have an axe that kinda reflects that, plus being such an awesome player, is really satisfying!

bmac314 likes this.
  17. I went to a shop in Japan that had Fodera's on the floor and the shop attendant kept trying to get me to play one. I wanted to since I've never seen one in person but I knew ignorance is bliss for my wallet, so alas I did not play one.

Congratulations on a very happy NBD, may it bring you many hours of joy.

18. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Enjoy! A great backstory, and a great bass.

Spidey2112 and DrThumpenstein like this.
  19. DrThumpenstein

Feb 8, 2015
    St Louis, MO
    Not a recording you'd really like to hear! :roflmao:

I think Vic Wooten is a monster player and have been aware of him since I happened upon Bela Fleck years ago, but I can't say that his endorsement of or involvement with the development of this bass is a big reason I went for it. It turns out we have a mutual friend and it sounds like he is as impressive a person as he is a bassist. But it really was the quality of the instrument, Fedora's reputation, the design, dimensions, features, and the aesthetics of the bass that spiked my interest rather than his endorsement.

I am a miserably poor slapper, although this bass is a slap machine and I do better on this one than on my other basses. So maybe there's hope yet...

mistermikev likes this.
  20. noahw1

noahw1

Jul 22, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Congrats.
    That is also my dream bass.