1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: Early 70's Yamaha SA 70!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by scotch, Dec 29, 2011.

1. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Love this thing! Found it in Canada while on tour earlier this month. Pretty great deal, too! Not a lot on the web about them, but it's an early 70's Japanese full-hollowbody that were branded under a few names. Everything works great- just had to tweak the truss rod, clean it up and I rotated the bridge pickup 180' to move the pole pieces a little further from the bridge (gave it a little more 'oomph'!). Dig the huge plastic 'lollipop' tuners!

sa70.

Installed some D'Addario Chromes flats and stuck some foam under the handy bridge plate! (Easily removable with the 2 thumb wheels.) Thumpy goodness, but with plenty of note definition.

IMAG0287.

The f-holes have interesting thin-plastic "covers" (mounted on the inside). I guess for preventing feedback? It is fully hollow, but with a large neck-joint block that reaches the neck pickup. Interesting stuff!

2. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Nice!

3. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    Nice. Very nice. You should take a spin by the Hollow Body Bass club and share your new find with the brethren. Someone else has one like it in a red-burst or sun-burst, but his was branded differently if I recall correctly.

4. A good friend traded for one of these in sunburst a few years ago. I hadn't seen another til caught of shot of JPJ with one in a Them Crooked Vultures promo clip.

5. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Very cool love it congrats

6. soxhats

soxhats Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    I have one. Oh how you will love it. Major congrats.

7. soxhats

soxhats Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    JPJ borrowed it from Josh Homme.

8. I have one in dark green. Love the sound,although the rear pickup does not work. You will love it!

9. Pretty cool. And without the typical 4 knobs and a toggle, like every other 330-type bass on the planet.

10. Very cool!