1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: Early Hallowe'en/Birthday Gift to Self: Orange Spector

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Monterey Bay-ss, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Monterey Bay-ss

Monterey Bay-ss Supporting Member

My family goes big on Hallowe'en, and my birthday follows shortly after (38 on 03 November), so when this orange beauty blazed onto my local-ish craigslist, I had a feeling it would have to come home with me. Well, I'm way happier than I look:
    IMG_E0352[1].JPG
    I had always wondered what was up with metal guys and those rounded, goofy-looking Spectors ... until I bought my Mesa Buster from @somebrains this past spring. We hung out long after we'd agreed to the deal, and when I took his Spector for a spin, I finally got it. Got it good. The comfort and playability really won me over, the tonal versatility seemed promising, and the look quickly grew on me. I love my hot-rodded '80s MIJ four-string pointy P-bass kind of things, but I haven't come across many five-strings from those manufacturers from that era, and I do occasionally require a five. I've had my Ibanez ATK-305 since they first came out back in 1995, and that was my main bass when I gigged and recorded regularly in the late '90s and early '00s, but my style has changed and the baked-in scooped tone and big clover keys aren't really doing it for me right now. The Spector's quite a departure from my high-output, fully-passive '80s MIJ stuff, but of course it is; they do all have maple bodies, maple necks, and rosewood fingerboards, so that's something. Hopefully a new set of strings and some time with this preamp will get me to some sounds more in keeping with the clanky, dirty tones I'm loving from my four-strings right now; if anybody has any tips for dialing in a Spector Legend 5 Classic, or suggestions for swapping out pickups or preamps (I never did much with the 3-band active EQ on my ATK), I'm all ears. And as you see here, I'm already grinning from one of those ears to the other:
    IMG_E0357[1].JPG
    I recently read somewhere around here that the Korean-built Spectors are a gateway drug. Uh oh ...

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  2. Monterey Bay-ss

Monterey Bay-ss Supporting Member

Not sure why I can't edit this post right now, but I've got to say: while I have struggled to find a sound of my own on this instrument, I have fallen back in love with that old ATK—I even got myself a four-string to match it, haha. I think I'll keep trying with the Spector, as it looks and plays so beautifully, but the ATKs just feel right these days.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    BassmanM and Smooth_bass88 like this.
  3. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Monterey Bay-ss :)

This one gets a carrot cake!!!!

thGBI18ZLN.

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

Monterey Bay-ss likes this.