1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD - EB MusicMan Stingray Classic 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HeavyJazz, Dec 6, 2017 at 11:10 AM.

1. HeavyJazz

HeavyJazz Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Virginia
    Born August 23, 2017 this edition arrived with an ash body, beautifully figured maple neck/fingerboard and a black pickguard. The brute turns my mind toward 1978/79 when the Stingray 4 really made its mark. Granted the 5'er didn't come until almost 10 years later, but having no need for the mid control I elected to marry the two styles for my own personal celebration of the Stingray 5's 30th anniversary.

I'm grateful to the good men of Bass Central out of Florida for still being at it. A dying breed sadly so God bless them!!

20171204_203205.
    20171206_115923.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017 at 12:21 PM
  2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The Classic Stingray 5 is a wonderful bass. I wish I The budget to buy one myself. I especially love bridge with the built in adjustable mutes.

3. Dasgre0g

Dasgre0g Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Austin
    Absolute love mine. Over the years I have never kept any particular instrument for more than a couple years before moving on to something else. Especially considering I'm the type of guy that doesn't have more than two or three at a time. However, my classic Stingray is never going anywhere even if I decide I don't want to ever play it again 20170503_191320_atc_1506086473507.

4. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    My favorite color combo...
    drooldrooldrool

5. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Happy NBD! Great old school look on an SR5. :bassist:

I love the SR5s with the separate “egg-shaped” pickguard and chrome control plate like the SR4. (I know this is just for the Classic SR5). EBMM should make this standard and ditch their current ginormous SR5 pickguard now that they have had this option in production for a while.

HeavyJazz and lowdownthump like this.
  6. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    They’ll never do that...it’s one of Sterling Ball’s first designs under the EB name.
    But I totally agree with you!

7. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Congrats! That fretboard is spectacular.

HeavyJazz and AztecViking like this.
  8. JRA

JRA where did the time go? Supporting Member

way cool! looks very nice! congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

9. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    BLUETIFUL!!

Dasgre0g likes this.
  10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Great looking bass!!!

But you gotta tell us about how it sounds and plays, man!

I have often thought about pulling the trigger on one of these even though the spacing is a little narrow for me.

Love the egg guard as opposed to the big wonky thing on the standard 5.

Congrats!

HeavyJazz likes this.
  11. Marc valero

Marc valero

Jan 20, 2015
    Nice bass; how does it sound and do you have other Music Man basses? I have 1990 SR5, but those classic 5s look cool. I live in FL and have a condo in Orlando, but haven't made it to Bass Central yet. Didn't realize I was only about 2 miles away from Bass Central a couple of years ago when I brought my dog to Vet Hospital near there.

12. stringthrough

stringthrough Supporting Member

Whoa, that's a beauty.

Hope she came in on the light side. Some MM's could use a diet.

lowdownthump likes this.
  13. HeavyJazz

HeavyJazz Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Virginia
    Only had a short time with it last night, but the first few things that stood out right away was it’s a bit heavier than the standard SR5, has a rounder neck radius (7.5” vs. 11.0”) and resonates quite strongly before you even plug in. Tone wise, it sounds according to its name: “Classic.” Powerful and punchy with a low end I love to squeeze (through an Analogman OS) and a top end that is very smooth and not shrill. It has a stronger presence than my late SR5 and the neck just has a terrific vibration – rock solid.

Now it’s time to tweak its set up for the next several days and change the strings.

lowdownthump likes this.
  14. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I have your bass’s twin and mine is never going to leave me. There is literally nothing I would change about it, it’s perfect. Congrats on a great bass!!

HeavyJazz likes this.