1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD! EBMM Big Al SSS (and EBMM Reflex) - Land of Discontinued Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 96Brigadier, Mar 27, 2016.

1. 96Brigadier

96Brigadier Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2015
    Canada
    I've been interested in the Big Al bass for a long time now, however no one locally sells them (in fact I'm not sure there were many that even made it to Canada). When Ernie Ball discontinued them last fall I figured one wouldn't be in my future, especially given most of the new ones are gone now from US stores. Well, last week I managed to get my hands on a new Tangerine Pearl in the SSS configuration, exactly what I wanted. It came from the US, the dealer was able to get Ernie Ball to agree to sell it to someone in Canada given they are discontinued and there aren't any dealers in Canada that we could find that colour/configuration (couldn't find any Big Al's at all for that matter but don't want to say none existed in the country as you never know what might be squirreled away in a back room somewhere).

So, here's the beauty. I love this bass, it's really too bad they weren't more popular because they look great, feel great, and sound awesome.

i-Kb49t7s.

And since I never posted this when I received it... in January of 2015 I ordered an EBMM Reflex HH in white. After a 7.5 month wait I received it in August last year. A local dealer had this exact bass in a single H configuration, it was beautiful and I fell in love with it, but I really wanted the HH given I have a single H StingRay already. I'm super happy I was able to get both a Reflex and a Big Al when I did given both are now discontinued.

i-QdpnhXw.

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Great scores!

3. Congratulations on your Ernie Ball "posse". Two more basses that are on my "GAS" list.

4. muggsy

muggsy

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Very nice! Love the Big Al SSS, great score.

5. Lawdy that is a good haul!

Been playing my reflex as my #1 since 2011.

I really really love and admire the burst of creativity of EBMM when they released the bongo, big al and 25th/reflex in quick succession. Not to mention the guitar side of things.

All buttons up- inside coils/series/passive has been my go-to for a long time, unless I need a bit more burp and bite. In which case I just engage the rear H.

That big al is sex.

96Brigadier likes this.