NBD: EBMM SR5 PDN Pace Car Blue

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lpbfender, Jan 18, 2017.

1. lpbfender

lpbfender Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Stamford CT
    IMG_2377.JPG IMG_2373.JPG At 56, I purchased my first 5 string! Been playing 4 strings ( and octave 8 strings) since age 11. But since I joined a tribute band playing Peter Gabriel and other Prog bands, I thought I would try.

First, I have to thank Talkbass for educating me about 5 strings, respective brand offerings, strings and adapting to a 5 from 45 years of using a 4.
    Second, I have to thank TB for the classifieds and a fellow TBer who sold me this bass: an EBMM SR5 Premiere Dealer Pace Car blue, maple neck with, gulp, gold hardware.

I had checked out a few 5's over the past few years, but I wasn't sure a 5 would fit with my playing style. Wide necks, heavy basses, neck dives and not sure what that low B was for turned me off. On a whim I tried a Fender American Deluxe Dimension HH 5 at a nearby Sam Ash on deep discount -$1199. Played it for an hour and seriously thought about walking out with it but it was natural Ash and I was looking for a solid color. Following week I saw the Pace Car blue EBMM SR5 at a nearby Guitar Center and played that for a while and thought that's the one BUT the maple neck had shrunk exposing all the frets ends - damn. Luckily one was for sale here and the TBer still had it up for sale and was awesome to deal with.

Impressions:
    1. Musicman makes high quality basses, dream to play, breeze to setup.
    2. No neck dive and light weight! Didn't even weigh it. No reason... it's lighter than my Fender American Standard Jazz.
    3. Debated whether to get a single H model but I really like the variety of sounds of the HH. I spent way too much time researching the HH v H debate, and should have just played em all. Maybe add the single H?
    4. Like other TBers wrote, I really enjoy the added range playing above the seventh fret. Great for runs, more choices and options notewise. Also noticed that at least for the Gabriel tunes I play, the extended range below low E is used selectively, for emphasis, and lays a deep low end where I could only get with an Octave pedal on songs like Red Rain, Solsbury Hil, etc. Tony Levin is definitely a master.

Now the newbie challenge - adapting my instincts to not see the low B as the low E. I frequently find myself staring at the front of the neck to make sure I start and end on the correct string. (At rehearsal, I played UK's classic "In the Dead of Night" and my band mates laughed as I got lost several times during the post chorus bass/ guitar runs - B/E string confusion.

Lastly, adapting to the "gold hardware not being tacky " self conscienceless.
    Thanks TB for the education and classifieds!

GregC, BassmanM, bass08053 and 2 others like this.
  2. It's a really nice bass, and surely a good choice for Peter Gabriel songs. I think the gold looks awesome with the blue!