1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: Eko 995

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by winterburn69, Nov 28, 2018.

1. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    On the long standing advice of hollowbody guru, @jmjbassplayer I finally took the plunge and got myself a vintage hollowbody!

For those not in the know, these were made in Italy in the 60s. Pretty good condition, came with the original leather bag, which kinda smells, and is in rough shape. Several lacquer cracks all over, which from what I've read it pretty common with these basses. Strings are super old. The dude I bought it from says he hasn't changed the strings (light gauge flats) since he bought it, which was in 1978 or 1979. Super dead sounding, which I'm loving, but little to no sustain. Also feeds back super easily with overdrive, which is super cool.

Totally nails the McCartney sound IMO, first song I played when I plugged it in was I Want You (She's So Heavy) and it's the sound 110%. I guess I don't need a Höfner (hah!)

Being used to Fenders, this has taken some getting used to (thicker body, totally hollow, short scale and teeny tiny neck). I've found the lighter strings require a lighter pick. I'll make a few quick Instragram videos that I'll link to here.

image. image. image. image.

2. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    I want to imagine that that thing on the headstock is some kind of tuner which displays the notes in a Gothic font.

3. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    That would be cool.