1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD Engelhard (Second Time Around)

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Dana R Gregory, Dec 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Here is my brand new Engelhard EM1. This is my second try at DB. The first was last spring with a Knilling Bucharest. It was heavy, awkward with a fat neck and Tomastik strings. I have chronic tendonitis in my hands and the Knilling was just too much for my hands so I had to give it up and sell it. My hands are better now and I missed playing upright DB so I am giving it another shot. This is lighter with a narrow neck which is very comfortable on my left hand. I am using medium gauge Corelli 370M strings and with a modified plucking technique given to me by an instructor which will reduce tension on my fingers, this should work this time. I really need this to work as the band I am in, plays a lot of acoustic Country/Bluegrass.:D

Englehardt EM1.

PauFerro and JayLaughlin like this.
  2. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
    Congratulations on the new bass. Hope it works out for you with your specific conditions.

3. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    You can always go to guts for lower tension.

HateyMcAmp and ColdEye like this.
  4. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    Looks great -- very woody. I was in the market for an Engelhardt at one point, and the vendor told me they produce a wide variance in colors for the same model, and you can't predict which color you'll get either. Was that your experience? The one you got looks like it's a kind of a burgundy color and the neck wood appears to e brownish rather than the usual black or maybe blonde you sometimes see.

And how do you intend to amplify it?

5. I will eventually get the K&K Super Big Twin Bass setup. It consists of a separate piezo mounted on the bridge just below each string. I had this on the Knilling and it sounded great without a preamp. Mine is a dark burgundy color and really looks good with a coat of polish. The fingerboard is made of Jatoba which is a good alternative to Ebony. It was on the floor at a local mom & pop store nearby and was very attractively priced, so I pulled the trigger. I am a little disappointed with the Corellis and may replace them with medium gauge D'Addario Helicores in a couple months. The Corellis just don't project well and I need volume for an acoustic setting. We are planning to hit the local Bluegrass jams in Central FL after the first of the year. :thumbsup:

PauFerro likes this.