1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD Epi classic pro Thunderbird

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by godofthunder59, May 7, 2015.

1. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Super impressed with this bass. More details tomorrow 20150507_184204. 20150507_184140.

mikeyjm2, imdkoz, Birdbrain and 5 others like this.
  2. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    That is sweet.

3. Mike A

Mike A

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Aren't those great for the money?! I'm still blown away by the quality of mine (sunburst) and reeeally want a white one to go with it.

4. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    My thoughts.........
    I have only spent a little time with this bass but I can say I am very pleased with it. Out of the box of course the set up is rubbish but it didn't take long to get the action nice and low, no fret buzz what so ever. The frets are dress perfectly no fret sprout or sharp edges. I love the neck profile there is a bit of meat on the backside, very comfy. The rosewood board is a bit lackluster (knit picking) it looks stained for a uniform color. Same for the dot inlay imitation MOP with no depth, both cosmetic gripes that have no bearing on how the bass plays. The poly finish is perfect, The Arctic White really pops this will look killer onstage. The pickguard is cut nice and clean with a sharp hot stamp Tbird logo. The body edge radius seems to be a little greater than on Gibson Tbirds I bet many will like this for the added comfort. The headstock looks larger than a USA model, I'll have to dig mine out to see. Plugged in the bass is indistinguishable from a USA Thunderbird due to it's USA pickups. While I am not a fan of these units if you like them you will love this bass. I bought this as a test bed for my Badbird II a 60's style replacement bridge for '89 and up Thunderbirds and Epiphone Thunderbirds as time goes on I will chrome the bass out. Killer right out of the box, great for modding, back up to your Gibson or if you can't swing a Gibby this will certainly scratch that itch! Epiphone really hit one out of the park, makes one wonder why you would spend 3-4 times what this cost for a Gibson

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  5. Acoustic356

Acoustic356 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    White basses are making a comeback! That's a killer looking bass! I can't wait to get the res of the details!

petrus61 and godofthunder59 like this.
  6. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    White NR.
    I have been playing white Tbirds for years! Look a that I'm a trend setter.:laugh:

petrus61 and Acoustic356 like this.
  7. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Another kinda cool thing is the neck heel is the 60s square profile instead of the more rounded/contoured modern profile. Also the strap button is at the heel of the neck a much more sensible location. I really wish they made a one pickup II.

hillerup and petrus61 like this.
  8. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Looks great! Are these basically a step up from the regular Epi T-Bird? Is this a set neck design? I've always wanted a T-Bird on a budget, but one that was a little closer in design to the Gibson. How do these compare to the regular Epi or Gibson models? Thanks.

Edit: never mind...I missed the post where you pretty much answered that!

godofthunder59 likes this.
  9. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    The Classic Pro is a big step up form the bolt on Epi Tbird. The CP is seven (or maybe 9) ply mahogany/walnut neck through construction. Virtually the only difference between the USA Gibson and the Indonesian made Epi is the Gibson is lacquer and the Epi poly finished. I think the Epi wins out in QC

hillerup and petrus61 like this.
  10. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    More pics. 20150508_104222. 20150508_104158. 20150507_184211.

11. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    I got one just like it. One of the best deals out there.

12. imdkoz

imdkoz Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2006
    Tennessee
    I love mine! Best bass you can get for that price range. Congrats!!

hillerup likes this.
  13. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Came so close to buying one of these recently. This definitely got my GAS going again.

Andii Syckz likes this.
  14. moonshinegtrs

moonshinegtrs Banned Commercial User

Jan 28, 2009
    White Bluff,Tn.
    Owner: Moonshine Custom Guitars
    I Love mine. I swapped the bridge & tuners for Hipshot pieces, not that it really needed it.

What a great bass.

Moonshine :bassist:

hillerup likes this.
  15. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    CONGRATS ON A BEAUTIFUL BASS!!!!

And she said: "Do you really need another bass?".......<<<< just kidding.

Besides the build quality, I've one Greco LP clone(of a few good ones) with a bad scarf joint(read:I don't play it, it's a parts donor bass) that has 3 Greco Tbird pickups just begging to retro one of these. As one afflicted with chromitis, chromed & shiny snarling pickups plus a transplanted chrome Hipshot bridge and chrome tuners would all be applied should one of these birds fly to Texas and land here.

hillerup likes this.