NBD - EPI - WOW - HUH?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lowbrow, May 3, 2012.

1. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    OK friends - my 50th birthday prompted a burst of indulgent generosity on the part of my lovely wife - here's my brand-new Epiphone Allen Woody!

allenwoody.jpg

What a looker! Photos do not do this itty-bitty SS justice. It even sounds good. $400!

NOW - this is my only non-Fender type in quite some time, and my first ever exposure to the godawful 3-point Epi/Gibson bridge.

WHAT THE HECK ARE THEY THINKING? This is a well-documented dog of a piece of hardware, yet they still install this flawed hunk of metal on new instruments? Is there someone giggling sadistically at the factory as they roll off the line?

My next purchase: The Mod-Bar. GIBSON® EPIPHONE® BASS BRIDGE 3-POINT (MOD-BAR!) | eBay

2. Classy

3. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    Keeping my fingers crossed that the Mod-Bar will do the trick of allowing proper intonation while keeping the string end windings and silk off the bride saddles - it's a fair bet it will work, as it is a simple thing. So simple you wonder why the situation exists when some famous guitar maker could solve it proactively.

Does sound great though - love that middle pickup soloed.

4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Looks very cool. Congrats!

5. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Actually, I've always liked the Gibson three-point bridges I've had on my Gibson and Epi basses. It makes life much easier when you are trying to intonate the bass. The adjustability of the three-point bridges I've used have been very good. Maybe it takes some getting used to, especially coming from the Fender world.

6. Nice bass. My RumbleKat Allen Woody lives among 5 other Fenders as well. He holds his own just fine

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021