NBD-Epiphone Allen Woody Blue Royale Chicago Pearl content

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tbone76, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Tbone76

Tbone76

Aug 24, 2013
    Well, after the earlier-week snowstorm and related shipping delays, I finally took possession of my new bass, an Epiphone Allen Woody Signature Rumblekat bass in the Blue Royale Chicago Pearl color (that's a mouthful!!). I had an Allen Woody sig in the original Wine Red transparent color a few years ago and I got rid of it for some reason or other. It was a good bass, but I didn't appreciate it at the time.

Fast forward to today, and I'm definitely appreciating it now! It's a bit heavier than the last one I owned, but it's still under 7 1/2lbs. It feels more substantial and not at all "toy-like" in the way my original Rumblekat did. The binding is nice and even around the body and up the neck, the finish is smooth and consistant, and the neck has a nice chunkiness to it that feels great in short-scale. The gloss-finished neck doesn't feel grabby, either, so that's a plus. The action is nice and low, and it really feels great to play.

Now the cons: The tuners feel kind of cheap, but they are functional and hold their tuning. I always thought that the Rumblekat would look better with a set of elephant-ear style tuning pegs, so I'll probably swap them out down the road. I'm not complaining, and I realize that costs have to be saved somewhere. Also, while I was looking the bass over I saw that the 3-point bridge wasn't set correctly. The single angle-bolt that is closest to the pups was set lower than the 2 rear bolts, and this can lead to the 2 height-adjustment bolt studs to be over stressed and pull out of the body. Guess what happened? Yup, the E-side stud was pulling out of the body:rollno::mad:. No biggie, as I've had to make this repair on other Epiphone basses I've owned over the years. Now it's fixed and properly adjusted, so all is good. Some owners would return it immediately, and that's ok, but for me it wasn't a big deal, and the rest of the setup feels too good to send it back.

Pics:
    IMG_1665.JPG
    IMG_1670.JPG
    IMG_1669.JPG
    IMG_1668.JPG
    IMG_1672.JPG
    I tried to highlight some of the sparkle in the finish with my phone's flash, but those pics make the color appear to be more periwinkle than royale! I also like how the Chicago Pearl binding looks more like an aged pearl than grey. It's a classy look all around, imo.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, it sounds great! Loads of low-end, with a hint of highs from the stock roundwounds. It's definitely a low-fi sound that should fit great in most any rock, blues, folk or country situation. And add in a pick, and you'll add some more high-end into the sound while still having ample lows. Roll back the tone knob, and it could probably fit right in a reggae band. Tons of tubbiness on tap.

Anyways, thanks for checking it out!

2. georgiagoodie

georgiagoodie The winged monkeys showed up

Jan 8, 2008
    HELL
  3. Andy114

Andy114 Supporting Member

May 9, 2015
    Hillsborough, NC
    Just ordered one - Musicians Friend has 'em for $399 over the 4th of July. Oh boy!

Tbone76 likes this.
  4. mojomike001

mojomike001

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    These are nice basses stock. However, to turn them into great basses, the Hipshot replacement bridge is the way to go. It's not cheap, but it's worth it. It's a serious hunk of gold-plated aluminum with fully adjustable saddles. It's a very easy swap and it makes a huge difference in playability. After having this bass for a couple of years, I made the bridge swap and now the bass feels totally gigable. Does it improve the sound? I'm not sure, but it makes me sound better when I play it.

1.JPG

5. wmachine

wmachine

May 3, 2017
    Over a year ago, I bought the "matching" EPI Rivera. Your impressions of the bass pretty much mirror mine. Lots of fine detail, and impressive finishing. Solid, sounds good, plays great. Superb value for the $399 sale price.
    I had thoughts of getting the whole series, but in my IMO there is too much overlap in the models, and I'm drawn in too many other directions!
    TMXfEq0GjC87JTTHcFiEr6i8Uv16DKE-BJlKu4F4nUgAuDG7-0Ma6HaxWf1P5CRouUfbjKKaCCGRl-vgEg=w1366-h768-no.jpg

J56fPOX2JjU-CV6z5nrHX7OC_FcELin2TzEcbyLt8uxXAFMv4EbpHJa4pzwDHiUlBChzIhDdHodIzQ7ieVA=w650-h700-no.jpg

Tbone76 and jd56hawk like this.
  6. Border

Border

Dec 31, 2010
    Spokane, Wa.
    Congratulations, that is a gorgeous bass! I hope you enjoy it for years to come. I played the wine red version some years ago in second hand store. If memory serves it had just one small pickup close to the neck. As I recall it sounded good, I just hadn't seen that pickup before. Maybe they have updated the pickups? Perhaps I am confusing it with another bass.

7. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Epiphone forgot to do the Thunderbird Classic IV in this color!
    Since it's their biggest selling bass, I.think they would've sold quite a few.

Tbone76 likes this.
  8. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

I agree. I have the blue Casady and when I was shopping it I wondered the same. Blue third would be irresistible.

jd56hawk and Tbone76 like this.