1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD - Epiphone Jack Casady

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nunovsky, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    I've been wanting to get a semi acoustic bass for a while. I even created a thread here a few months ago to ask for opinions to help me choose.
    Most sugestions pointed to the Epiphone Jack Casady.
    I was thinking of buying one of the new 20th Anniversary, but then a deal came up on facebook and I mannaged to buy one in black, which is my favourite colour of the standard ones.
    Today I got my hands on my new used JC bass and let me tell you that it's a true beauty! It's almost new. Not a single scratch on it. It had a recent setup and its ready to play.
    I've only managed to play it unplugged, but next wednesday I'll bring it to a gig to try it on.
    Here's the picture.

IMG_20170717_145820.jpg

Raman, scifiguitar, Tbone76 and 19 others like this.
  2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Congrats, you're in for a real treat. Varying your picking hand technique and location will open up a great assortment of tones. :bassist:

Raman, Tbone76 and Nunovsky like this.
  3. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Nice. And it looks like somebody swapped out the original bridge, which a lot of people like to do.

Personally, the first thing I'd do is scrap the pickguard. That was the first thing I did that with mine (also black) because I think it looks cheap. Of course, you wind up with some empty screw holes, but I still think it looks better that way.

MrRubi04 and Nunovsky like this.
  4. MrBassman17

MrBassman17

Dec 30, 2011
    Brewster, NY
    Congrats! Enjoy your new-to-you JC! I acquired mine (from a TB seller) the same way! The instrument came to me with the scratch guard already off, but the screws were in the hole (and still are!). The best thing the original owner did was to replace the tuners with Hipshot Ultralites to eliminate the dreaded 'neck dive'. He also replaced the bridge with the Hipshot 3 point mount. Other than changing out the strings (I use the recommended Dean Markley Blue Steel's) nothing else had to be done! You are going to just love playing plugged in!

ATLbassist and Nunovsky like this.
  5. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    That's a beauty!

Nunovsky likes this.
  6. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    Man! This bass sounds and feels great!
    It is full stock, which means no mods so far.
    The neck dive didn't bother me because it was quite subtle and it didn't felt awkward at all.
    The neck is chunkier than my other basses, but I have a big hand and it wasn't dificult to play at all. It played yesterday night for like 2 hours in a row at home trying the bass and it felt ok.
    First, I played with it unplugged and it was great because since it's full hollowbody, you can actually practice with it unplugged and although it doesn't have a big ressonance box you can hear perfectly what you're playing, which is great.
    Then, I used my Hotone Thunderbass head that I usually use at home to practice with headphones. And the tone was to die for!
    Man, it sounded soooooo good!
    It has that P-bass kind of vibe but with something else. That impendance switch knob is magical. It really makes this bass a super versatile one.
    This is my kind of bass: few knobs and a lot of tones to get from it.
    It's really what I was looking for. A semi acoustic bass, that sounds like a semi acoustic bass, but able to do diferent things and go to diferent places.
    It's a winner, at least for me.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    Raman, Tbone76, cdef and 2 others like this.
  7. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Those were all the same thoughts I had when I first got mine, the only exception being that the neck-dive bothered me more than it seems to bother you. I swapped out the tuning machines for Ultralites.

One other thing about it that you should look forward to is discovering what happens when you try different strings on it. I used Blue Steels (as per Jack's suggestion) for a long time after first acquiring the bass, and then I tried a set of TI flats. Wow: It became an entirely different bass. I mean, any bass will sound different with rounds vs. flats, but the difference seems much greater with the JC. I wouldn't say that either is better than the other -- just very different. I've often considered getting a second JC so I could keep one strung with rounds and one with flats.

Raman, Tbone76, JJR58 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    I was thinking of placinf a set of tapewounds on it. I use a GHS on my BB1024x and I really like the sound and the feel of it. It has that flats vibe and tone with much less string tension.

Lobster11 likes this.
  9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Raman and Nunovsky like this.
  10. Very nice. I almost bought the gold one about 9 months ago. I still want one and am waiting on a red one.

Raman, Tbone76, JJR58 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    Man, I read that thread an hour ago. Really great!

two fingers likes this.
  12. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    Yeah, I was thinking of getting one of those myself by the end of the summer season, with the money that I could raise from the gigs, but this deal came along and I couldn't let it pass. The bass doesn´t have a single scratch on it.

Just get one and you won't be disapointed for sure.

Tbone76 likes this.
  13. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Nice! I've always wanted one of these. Can't seem to find any in my area though.

Nunovsky likes this.
  14. I'll second the motion on Ultralites. I came very close to selling mine because the neck dive was so bad; my left hand would cramp halfway through a set because my thumb was supporting so much weight. The new tuners and a wider strap took care of that.

Also, I put TI flats on mine as well. Very cool tones - it's like a P-bass with more top-end sparkle. I should play it more often than I do...

Nunovsky likes this.
  15. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Classy! Congrats my friend

Nunovsky likes this.
  16. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    They are sweet basses for sure and Fairly loud unplugged for a semi -hollow Body. There is a block running down the Middle of the body.

Nunovsky likes this.
  17. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    I got a gold one and gigged with it for a couple of years. Lots of tonal options. I put flats on mine. The JC Epiphone is a really great instrument and for the price it can't be beat.

Nunovsky likes this.
  18. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    In fact, they are full hollow. It only has a block to screw the bridge on it. That's why it sounds that way unplugged. At least louder than the Warwick starbass that I've tried a while ago.

19. I picked up a gold one a few months ago. A set of TI flats and it's a keeper. One band I play in the drummer exclusively requests that I play "that" bass. :D:D:D

Nunovsky likes this.
  20. Border

Border

Dec 31, 2010
    Spokane, Wa.
    Congrats on the new bass! I have a gold top and love it. Extremely versatile and tone for days. I have had mine for over a year and am still finding new sounds on her. I suspect the more you play her, the better you'll like her. Enjoy.

Nunovsky likes this.