1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD! Epiphone Thunderbird Vintage Pro

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Erik herman, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Really impressed with this bass, not that it matters much but it took flathead screwdriver turns to lower the bridge to be perfect. I’m surprised that being as short as I am and this bass being longer than the others it really fits me well and feels great on a strap. It sounds better than the other thunderbirds that I’ve played. I almost ended up with an active one used for cheap but there was something about how it felt that turned me off. I’ve played the embassy pro and liked it a great deal but the neck on that was too chunky for my liking there’s something about some of epiphone a basses where the neck doesn’t necessarily feel bad but it has this real mass to it that just doesn’t feel good to me, it makes me think of the fat Rickenbacker necks but more rounded, I loved the pickups and how it sounded just couldn’t do the neck. Bought this newest model Thunderbird sight unseen and I couldn’t be happier, the neck is slim but just so ever slightly bigger than the bolt on thunderbirds, perfect! I can’t wait for band practice to see how it sounds against guitar and drums!

Attached Files:

Rob Martinez, dmt, metron and 8 others like this.
  2. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I've had mine for just over a year now. No regrets in buying it.

Case1.JPG

Enjoy yours!

TD

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    scotch likes this.
  3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

glad you found one you like! it looks really nice. congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

4. Thanks guys, I’m pretty sure she’s a keeper! I just ordered a black pickgaurd with the gold bird to match the truss rod cover, that’ll make it look perfect!

jd56hawk likes this.
  5. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Along with my 60's birds I have two Vintage Pros! Epiphone really nailed it! 20180919_200932.

SteveHeissner and dmt like this.
  6. That HiWatt is awesome!

7. Question did your thunderbird come with a black spacer under the bridge pickup? Mine did so that the bridge pickup sits higher than the neck

godofthunder59 likes this.
  8. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Yes, I take them off first thing. I never use the bridge pickup and want it as low as possible, I crank that sucker right down.

9. Good to know thanks, I only saw one post on all of talkbass that mentioned that some had spacers, definitely taking it off, I have it about as low as it can go without rubbing the bridge pickup I can get it ever so slightly lower when I take it off!

10. Now you have to pick up the other two colors :)

godofthunder59 likes this.
  11. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    I got a white one first 20181102_183250.

Erik herman likes this.
  12. You are an instigator! I don’t think my girlfriend would buy the whole “the guy on the internet told me to” deal. I’m already way behind on the “you can buy that bass if you get rid of one you already have” she plays guitar so she really doesn’t mind as long as there’s enough room for hers!

Instagator likes this.
  13. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    After getting the Embassy Pro I really want the T-Bird!

Instagator likes this.
  14. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

Sep 14, 2005
    I got one! GREAT bass for the $ and it is fun to play.

15. E6934369-1F08-47C2-9020-B71EBD6AD369.

I do tend to instigate from time to time..