NBD - Epiphone Viola

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassJuju, Apr 24, 2018.

1. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Texas
    First, I have a bit of a hollow body bass fetish. I found this one while reading about Hofner violin basses and decided to go with the Viola.

She is my first short scale since 1978 and I've never had a violin bass. I played her for about an hour tonight and I’m really very impressed with this bass. Big tone and lots of thump. One of the reason I chose this one was the VVT knobs and I like that a lot.

Here is the cool stuff...
    03524C83-640E-4A23-A9EC-4FAEFB0C3258.jpeg 9261612B-D83A-48BB-A62B-8830C0DC80CB.jpeg FE89ED6D-08DB-4651-A29C-845B9CE0EBB6.jpeg 76A7AF47-A67D-4FDD-83E9-B2D73D30E17E.jpeg 67815940-926A-462F-81F7-5F28A402F295.jpeg

2. I played one of these at GC for an hour yesterday (even posted a thread about it...) and I was thoroughly impressed with it! I am actually considering buying one some time...weird since I never liked Violin or short scale basses until I played this one. Tons of tone in that thing for sure = tons of fun! Enjoy!

What I found interesting was that it has a zero-fret, AND the bridge has mini-frets that the strings break over, really ensuring that open notes do sound as close as possible to fretted notes.

lowplaces and BassJuju like this.
  3. fermata

fermata Guest

Nov 10, 2015
    I love (semi) hollow-bodies in general and violin basses in particular, and I've found the Epiphone Viola to be an excellent instrument, on par with Hofner's Contemporary line in build quality.

4. Paul63

Paul63

Jul 16, 2016
    Nico bass! Does it have neckdive issues?

5. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Texas
    Haven’t put it on a strap yet. With what it weighs, it couldn’t be too serious of an issue if it does. The strap button placement, behind the heal, has solved that issue on all of my other hollow bodies and I would thnk it would here as well.

6. I have had a few of these over the last 20 years or so, and always found them to be excellent. I let them go only because of the type of music I play. I recommened the LaBella flats for these. I also had a Johnson that was very similar sounding, though not quite as nicely made. I agree that these are superior to the Chinese Hofners

7. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Texas
    I’m trying to order the La Bella’s. BSO is out of stock. I agree that they are the way to go.

pudgychef likes this.
  8. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    I believe the Epi and my Rondo-sold Douglas are from the same factory and I love my viola bass. The pickups are more Gibsonish and the tone is a bit more full.

Still, I now have the Ignition Hofner Club and it's a full on hollowbody with its own great sound. Best of all, both sound good with the band.

9. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Really cool, Congrats!

10. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    I have one as well, from Korea according to the serial number and Epiphone's website. I really like it. Its surprisingly versatile. I use tapewounds on it.

11. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Congrats! I remember one those first came out.

12. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    This are great. Happy NBD and congrats!

13. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

looks great! congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

14. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Texas
    I ordered the case too, but it took a day longer. It’s a good fit.
    6E0F1DC9-3159-4974-A5E1-439FECB3E715.jpeg

Attached Files:

el jeffe bass and G-Z like this.
  15. lowplaces

lowplaces Got Punch ?

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
  16. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Texas
    lowplaces likes this.
  17. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Texas
    I had the LaBella flats installed today and took it to practice. What an amazing bass this is. It sounded decent before, but the flats are perfect. I’d forgotten just how much I like flats as well. I think I need more flats in my life. For this bass, flats are where it’s at.

G-Z and lowplaces like this.
  18. lowplaces

lowplaces Got Punch ?

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    Where did you wind up getting the strings ?

19. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Texas
    I ordered them from GC. Wish I had looked here first. Looks like we might be neighbors.

lowplaces likes this.
  20. That Old Guy

That Old Guy

Apr 12, 2018
    I paid under $150. for my Epi Viola about a year ago and I'm convinced it is one of the sweetest sounding and most versatile basses out there! Anyone considering spending a small fortune on a high-end bass should sit down with one of these for a while first. I use nylon tape-wound strings - effortless!

lowplaces and BassJuju like this.