NBD- ESP LTD Stream 204

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Maxdusty, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I just got this delivered today, great day to receive it as temperatures near Detroit reached an unusual 50 degrees for this time of year - so my worries of polar vortex weather and decision whether to wait to open the box went out the window and I opened it right away. Upon getting the box, I was initially worried because it seemed like the "bottom" of the box was padded enough and you could hear the sickening "thunk" of wood pressing up against the box when it was placed on the floor. Well, I opened the box and realized the bass was standing on it's headstock like a lollipop and that wood sound was the unprotected headstock hitting the floor! Gaa! There was some scuffing and a small ding on the tip of the headstock but nothing too serious, and I wasn't overly concerned as it was a used bass from GC. There was adequate padding on the sides, but nothing protecting the ends of the box at all and to stop the bass from sliding around in there as the box was about six inches longer than the bass. Now that I think about it, it's quite the miracle really that the headstock ding was the only sign of damage during it's long trip to the Midwest packed this way.

I haven't had the time to play it for any extended amount of time, but I'll need to do a setup as strings seem a tad high, but the neck is straight- strings need changing but all in all, pretty good shape.
    I've always wanted to try one of these LTD Stream basses, but I just haven't seen any of them in my neck of the woods let alone get my hands on one of them to try it so after reading up on the specs and reviews, I thought I'd give it a shot and buy without trying it for myself. Well, I'm pleasantly surprised so far, for a $199 bass, it more than exceeded my expectations. It's much lighter than I thought- I'm guessing something like 7 1/2 lbs and the neck is slimmer than expected with a thin neck profile with jumbo frets. It feels great in my hands.
    Will post more on how it sounds when I have the time to really check it out but from what I've heard thus far, pretty good, I'm glad I took that leap of faith.

picture50.jpg

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  2. Buddy of mine has this same bass. They are pretty darn great for the money. Visually it looks like an interesting take on a thunderbird but sonically sounds like a pj which is pretty cool. Looks even better in person also. Why they don’t make the 1005 in this shape in better colors I’ll never know

Maxdusty likes this.
  3. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I haven't had a chance to really play the bass as I didn't get home till late this evening, but I did get it set up and will play it tomorrow. It does sound different from what I expected from what little I played on it but in a good way at least in regards to the kind of tone I tend to prefer. I'll have to play with the EQ a bit tomorrow to see what kind of other sounds I can get with it but it does seem less boomy and thick if put on a full bass setting compared to other 2 humbucker active models I own - then again, my cat may have nudged my amp settings again. lol That and the strings are in dire need of changing so I'll see how it sounds like once I put them on. I'm really liking the bass so far though - and for $199, looks to be a keeper.
    It does look like a Thunderbird and this other bass of mine, the Ibanez Iceman. As the body is lighter and has less of a lower horn, there seems to be much less of a neck dive than that on the Iceman- then again, it doesn't really bother me one way the other.
    26854315_10216190129934553_37318765_o.jpg

Leftka and hillerup like this.
  4. Yeah you got a good deal also I think that bass went for $500 or so new

5. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Hey Max, nice bass. You do realize the temp is falling into the low twenties later today right?
    Oh how we love the great state of Michigan!

Maxdusty likes this.
  6. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    ha ha...My prayers to the bass gods (Squire, Entwistle et al) were answered as the bass came at absolutely the best time possible, yesterday mid day when it was a balmy 50 degrees - the temperature sure dropped today.

Also I stand corrected, I think the GC at Roseville had the Stream in store once as Maxproud (youtube reviewer) was able to try a white one but it must have sold before I had a chance to check it out. I used to see him every now and then at the store-great guy and really knows his basses.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  7. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Maxproud is a Michigander, yeah!

8. Wow, that's the lowest $$ I've heard for one of these.
    $375 is where they've been lately.

AND...you got my color choice. The black and the white ones just don't do it for me, especially as a partner to MY Iceman.
    Dude--you're killing me.

Congrats!