1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD Essex Content

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thebrownarrow, Nov 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Thebrownarrow

Thebrownarrow Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2011
    Ordered this bass on Saturday. I held off the last time they had this particular one until it was too late and missed buying one. A year later, and they finally pop up again so I snagged one without hesitation.

This is what they call, “Powder Blue”. I actually asked rondo about the color, and the girl who responded said it actually had a green tint to it. I honestly can’t decide what color I think it is. It looks blue one minute, and green the other. I love it.

This thing weighs less than my Squier CV 70s bass does. Alder body too. It’s well under 9lbs.

Neck is straight, and for once a SX bass that I have owned doesn’t have fret ends that want to eat my fingers. The are actually really smooth. The frets aren’t as glossy as my other SX basses were either. Really nice to play.

Pickups sound good. No hissing. Strings feel cheap, but not TOO cheap. I will probably throw a set of super brights on it. I will probably throw a set of Geezers in it too. Mainly because I had an extra set waiting to get used, and I know that they sound great.

The only other thing I would like is a white pearloid pickguard.

Attached Files:

2. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    Looks really good . I'm glad they have a new headstock that doesn't look like a canoe paddle . I've got a Jazz with the same headstock and overall it's a great bass . Congrats !

Thebrownarrow likes this.
  3. Thebrownarrow

Jul 23, 2011
    Hey thanks! Yeah, I much prefer this headstock to the paddle ones too!

4. Bogster

Bogster

Oct 13, 2002
    Orange Park, FL
    Good score! I picked up this same bass last year as well and still really enjoy it. I installed a new pickguard and bridge (both drop-in replacements) but haven't upgraded the pups.

Attached Files:

5. Thebrownarrow

Jul 23, 2011
    The black pickguard looks really sharp!

Bogster likes this.
  6. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Really nice pictures, iv'e been eyeing up the blue myself, sweet!

7. Big Hoss

Big Hoss Up note, down note, blue note, brown note...

Looking good!

8. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Great color, looks good with that maple board, Congrats!
    I have a SX Jazz with the old headstock that is a similar shape to yours. It is a good bass and I play it often.