NBD - F bass with aguilar DCBs

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JRB, Oct 20, 2016.

1. JRB

JRB Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    Hi all,

After a long wait my new F bass has arrived. It is a VF5, with aguilar DCB pickups. I waited a little bit to post this so I can do a bit of a review. Certainly, I am still in the honey moon faze but since DCBs on an F bass is unique I thought it might be interesting to some. First the specs:

VF5 –
    Body: Ash body
    Finish: Solid Black, Gloss finish
    Hardware: Chrome hardware, standard B style bridge
    Pickups: 70s style bridge pickup location, aguilar DCB pickups (bartolini size D2/P2)
    Pre: Fbass
    Neck: maple fingerboard. Neck binding black, neck blocks ebony
    Standard Stuff: 19mm spacing, standard VF5 34 scale length

Fit/Finish – not surprising the fit and finish is perfect. As you would expect from this level of instrument. Not much to say about this. Since it is a black finish with no pickguard I am sure it will show some wear in not too long, but I am cool with that.

Weight – I asked them to try and keep the weight down and they did. I think in the 9-9.5 pound range.

The neck – this is really why I ordered this bass. It is incredibly easy to play. The first fret when standing feels very close to your body and the neck is really effortless. Access to the upper frets is easy.

Tone – well the combo of the DCBs and F bass preamp really works. There is a wide range of tones you can get between the two pickups and working with the preamp. I have been playing jazz basses almost exclusively for 10 years, so it was a bit of a risk to try the DCBs. I figured at worst I could put in aguilar jazz bars or nordy super singles. I don’t think I will be doing that. The rear pickup has a very nice aggressive burp, similar to a jazz bass but fuller. With both pickups on full, the tone is relatively smooth. The front pickup is a little pbass like, with a great growl when you dig into notes. Loving jazz basses, favoring the rear pickup a little gives me more of the tone I am used to.

Fbass.jpg IMG_0642.jpg

Dave Hill, MarkoYYZ, BIGEJ2 and 12 others like this.
  2. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Very sleek.

JRB likes this.
  3. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    All I can say is YES!!!!

JRB likes this.
  4. Tom7

Tom7 I'm so bright, my mom called me son! ;-)

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    I like your choice of bridge with that configuration. Out of curiosity, why did you go with the DCBs?

5. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Beautiful instrument - and your description of the DCB's is spot on. They are 'da bomb. Congrats! :thumbsup:

JRB likes this.
  6. JRB

JRB Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    I went back and forth for a while. I owned a different VF5 with the standard jazz pickups and loved the neck profile, the feel of the bass, really everything about it. I stupidly traded it due to GAS and since then wanted another VF5 since it is really one of the most comfortable basses (for my hands) to play. But I just wanted to have a different sound other than yet another jazz bass. I have owned a lot of them.

After speaking with Marcel at F bass about the tone I was after I decided this would be the best route to go. (Not to mention that with so many jazz bass pickups coming in these size shell’s it would be easy to make it a jazz bass if I so desired down the line. Marcel even said that the aguilar super singles are identical to the aguilar jazz pickups they use only in a larger casing so if I switched to that it would in theory sound the same or very similar to a stock VF5. (I never double checked that, but that was Marcel's understanding.)

7. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Awesome bass!

JRB likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021