NBD Fail - Musician's Friend sending me damaged crap from GC

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sporadic29414, Jul 23, 2020.

1. So, my 12 year old daughter has been showing interest in picking up Bass, something I fully support! My 34" scale felt too big for her though, so I started looking at short scales. Decided on an Ibanez GSRM20 Mikro in Starlight Blue, which seemed to be out of stock everywhere. After a week of checking, Musician's Friend finally showed stock and I ordered it. A few days later, received a ship notification originating from Guitar Center #769 in Atlanta, which I thought was odd (later found out this is common now). Yesterday, this beat up piece of junk showed up on my doorstep. No Ibanez box, no retail tags or paperwork. Just a beat up bass wrapped in bubble wrap... Box even had someone else's invoice attached (for a TMB100) to the outside, with my shipping label on the other.

Note there was no damage to the box, and no paint chips in the box. They literally packed up this piece of crap and sent it to me as a new bass. Called yesterday to return it and after 30min they said they'd emailed me a return label. Still no email from them, so opened up a dispute with my credit card company. I'll never do business with them again, this is ridiculous. IMG_20200722_160905212.jpg IMG_20200722_160911275.jpg IMG_20200722_165532978.jpg

tindrum and Bassist4Eris like this.
  2. deff

deff Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Gloucester, MA
    Wow.

tindrum, EchoEcho, carsbybigd and 3 others like this.
  3. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    “Epic fail” is too kind to describe that situation, much so less of the salesperson that thought doing a transaction like that was in any way, perfectly okay.

Edit: I hope for their sake, that this was a mix-up in the shipping department. That would be only redemption for such misconduct, if there was any...

mikewalker likes this.
  4. Ross McLochness

Ross McLochness Living Room Bassist Extraordinaire Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2013
    Eden Prairie, MN
    That is absolutely horrible.

Ace Of Bass likes this.
  5. Agree that "epic fail" falls short of describing this situation. How in the world did anyone, anywhere, think that damage would not be noticed?

Spidey2112, nbsipics and TheReceder like this.
  6. Looks like someone took a belt sander to it.

7. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Life is short, buy the bass. Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Obviously not acceptable. I hope you are able to find a nice example of the bass for your daughter.

Ace Of Bass, MCF and TheReceder like this.
  8. I found one late last night and it should be here Monday. Fingers crossed!

9. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi sporadic29414 :)

Tis but a scratch!

anigif_enhanced-27202-1416958785-5.gif

or better an efficiency dividend! :D

Bummer!!! :sour:

Good news! A lot of other shops and retailers wait for clients these day!

You have the choice! Have fun hunting something nice for your daughter! :hyper::hyper::hyper:

greetings

Wise(b)ass

Razman, MonetBass, DrMole and 5 others like this.
  10. dalkowski

dalkowski It's "rout," not "route." Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    That is the weakest of sauces.

11. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I've never had a problem with Guitar Center itself, at least 10 basses, but I can't tell you how many times I've heard that Musician's Friend is the worst.

gebass6, DTRN and Aqualung60 like this.
  12. Jek Porkins

Jek Porkins

Jun 9, 2020
    Lacey WA
    Wow that is nuts! I only order from Sweetwater because of this type of treatment from MF or GC. I got a messed up Fender Steve Harris bass from MF years back and the neck was cracked. They gave me so much hassle the I flipped them the perm bird.. They did replace my bass though eventually!

13. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Props to you for being a good dad and taking care of a bad situation.

Bassist4Eris, DTRN, Geri O and 2 others like this.
  14. I stopped ordering anything from MF a long time ago after they sent me damaged "new" gear.

15. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    11B10A99-1943-4908-9394-A188CABEA77B.gif

16. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    I've always had pretty good experiences with both Guitar Center and Musicians Friend. But yeah, this is a total fail.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  17. wncBass

wncBass Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2015
    North Carolina
    Bummer, send it back and get a new one.

18. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

MF is officially OFF my list of websites to EVER look at again!

That's because if they figuratively packed it, nothing would have happened :smug:

el jeffe bass, DTRN, Wisebass and 4 others like this.
  19. MynameisMe

MynameisMe What will you be remembered for?

Dec 31, 2018
    J'ville Florida
    Yikes!

20. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Wow. That is obviously awful damage. I’m more willing to believe that either the person who took it off the wall and packed it somehow didn’t see the damage/didn’t look it over, or it was already packed in a box for whatever reason and when you ordered, they just checked the serial and sent it out. It seems crazy that anyone would knowingly ship that as a new bass.

Bassist4Eris and bobyoung53 like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 24, 2022