1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD....fail!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bleecker, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Bleecker

Bleecker Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Etown NY. USA
    I won a Hartke XK4 on eBay. It's been kind of a bucket list bass for my collection even though it wasn't the XL USA model I went for it anyway as it's a lot less $$. Its my first aluminum neck bass. Great right? Nope!

I noticed the box was pretty small compared to other case-less basses I've received, and it had a small back curve to the box as well. The box also had "do not lay flat" written on it. Theses things were alarms to me, so as usual I took some pictures before/during unboxing.
    The short? Its broken it two! Bummed right I am...

I have posted a return with the picture to eBay, hoping for the best.

IMG_20201124_170532637.jpg IMG_20201124_171318201.jpg IMG_20201124_171432152.jpg

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Weeeeeeeeell crap. That sucks.

LowActionHero, smogg, rtav and 3 others like this.
  3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    :eek::bawl::rollno:

SDC1-ClickClack likes this.
  4. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    How well was the bass supported and padded inside the box? It looks like there may have been next to no supportive structure (ie. Cardboard) around the headstock.

AudioTaper and DaveDeVille like this.
  5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

wow, that is a bummer. sorry for your disappointment, OP. seems to have broken/snapped at the weld?

6. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    That sucks... if ever I ship W/O case I ALWAYS double box. Looks like it might be repaired, maybe with 2 hardwood dowels, but still :crying:

(A natural choice for headless conversion?)

Hope dealing with the aftermath goes smoothly for you.

7. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    Bummer.

You could always re-sell it as "road worn."

8. Bleecker

Dec 21, 2006
    Etown NY. USA
    Not much, the HS was wrapped in bubble wrap, nothing around the neck...I've had boxes like this inside another bigger box on basses Ive received.

9. Bleecker

Dec 21, 2006
    Etown NY. USA
    Thanks man. It looks cast to me where it broke, via the second pic. Thinner that I expected.

JRA likes this.
  10. Bleecker

Dec 21, 2006
    Etown NY. USA
    Thanks!

Thats the way to do it....and writing directions on the box is fairly useless given how many different could be handling the item.

I don't plan to loose my money on this, we'll see though and I will post updates for sure.

11. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

got it. i had to look up the instrument on the hartke site and it was described as a "welded" on headstock.

but no matter, it's a bummer. i guess it's some consolation that you didn't spend big/any bucks. but that doesn't mitigate the disappointment. let us know how all of this plays out. good luck with it! :thumbsup:

Bleecker likes this.
  12. LowRick

LowRick

Mar 24, 2019
    Garrelsweer
    Needs tort

But on a more serious note, That seriously is a bummer. Waste of a perfectly fine instrument. Boxing it like that doesn't show much sense... Hope you'll get it right.

stigbeve and Bleecker like this.
  13. Bleecker

Dec 21, 2006
    Etown NY. USA
    Ok. I did't know that, thanks. The break 'looks' like cast but I ain't no expert, I just wanted to play the dang thing! Lol.
    I'll update as needed.
    Cheers!

pcake and JRA like this.
  14. Bleecker

Dec 21, 2006
    Etown NY. USA
    Hahaha! This place loves there Tort!

15. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    eBay will take care of you. They are very buyer friendly. Just be cordial in your responses.

Packaged that way, I am not convinced the seller will get paid through an insurance claim with the carrier. The last few basses I shipped out (two FedEx and one UPS), the counter clerk was very thorough in checking out the packaging before agreeing to accept it.

smidgley likes this.
  16. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    OUCH! Almost looks like the headstock was sawed off. Best of luck on getting satisfaction. You should have a cut & dry case.

17. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

... wow ,
    wrong sized box , crappy packaging ...
    what could possibly go wrong ??
    :rollno:

mikeswals and Lammchop93 like this.
  18. telecopy

telecopy

Dec 6, 2009
    USA

rojo412, Pdaddy1978 and Bleecker like this.
  19. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    You may get lucky through ebay, they almost always side with the buyer.

Based on that packaging, though, the seller is likely SOL.

smidgley, Bleecker and DaveDeVille like this.
  20. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    That’s totally a packaging failure. It never had a chance.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 25, 2021