1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD Failure: Warwick Rockbass Fretless 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by arbiterusa, Jan 4, 2019.

1. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    So, I got myself a Warwick Rockbass fretless from GC. Used. The last one I got was great and this looked even better. Was holding my breath for it to come in today.

Lovely looking bass, no?

Rockbass.jpg

I thought so. Looked brand new out of the box. Started setup and soon found out why...

Rockbass inlay wrong spot.jpg

Oh my. Someone has put the side dots where they would go on a fretted bass. I'm stunned this got through Warwick's QC.

So I will return it to my local Guitar Center, tell them the problem, they will put it right back on the floor again, someone will purchase it and return it again (or will sit on it past the return period and just assume they're really bad at fretless). Like the swirling of a gas station toilet that hasn't been cleaned for years, the great circle of useless gear that never should have left the factory continues.

2. BoomBoomOGTL

BoomBoomOGTL Supporting Member

Agree with your observation.

Do you think the CNC machine was having a bad day?

chaak, jackn1202 and jaysbass2002 like this.
  3. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    @arbiterusa: This is a dumb/bad answer, but based on other posts here on TB, I think that is just how they do it. I think the dots on Rockbasses are in the same place whether it is fretted or fretless.

Hopefully someone will post here with pictures and show me how wrong I am.

Rabidhamster likes this.
  4. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    My Warwick Thumb 5 fretted: dots on side.
    My Zon Sonus 5 fretless: dots on side plus lines.

kesslari and Spidey2112 like this.
  5. CatchaCuda

CatchaCuda Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Transfer, PA
    Having no Warwick experience, I initially thought the nut was cracked based on the second pic!:eek:

Artman, Clark Dark, Dgl44 and 15 others like this.
  6. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Me, too.

nbsipics likes this.
  7. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Helix and Gumby562 like this.
  8. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    No, screwing up that badly requires a human. It’s a damn shame. It was a nice bass, but it’s really not much good to anyone who’s not willing to drill and fill the inlays. Which I am willing to do, but I already have one. That was built properly. A few years earlier.

9. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Fortunately not. I have another Rockbass fretless done about a year or two previous, and those are in the right place.

Spidey2112, wvbass and Rabidhamster like this.
  10. Turxile

Turxile

May 1, 2011
    Warwick nuts are height adjustable, a very good feature. The nut looks good.

The dots on the other hand, I agree they are in an odd place.

Spidey2112 and CatchaCuda like this.
  11. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    I have seen a fretless G&L L 2000 ( an older one) that I almost bought until I saw that the dots were not where the lines would be, but where they would be on a fretted bass.
    It’s very confusing and I walked.
    The dots are fine ( ala Pedulla) if there are corresponding lines.

12. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Very good to hear. I poked around and found one on reverb with proper side dots as well. I wonder how often they make this mistake...if yours is unique or if the older posts on TB mean there are several with dots in the wrong place.

I guess the QC guy isn’t t a bass player.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  13. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Interesting... never knew. Thanks!

images(12).jpg

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  14. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    That would be acceptable on a lined board........ definitely not on an unlined 'board.

gebass6 likes this.
  15. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    If I liked the bass, I'd (as in me, not "you should") drill some shallow holes where the dots should be and fill them in with white paint. Sharpie out the present dots. But then again, I'm a slob so don't listen to me. :)

16. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Since I’m a luthier with thousands of hours of building and restoration experience (seriously) I did pretty much exactly that to the last bass I got that had the markers in the wrong place, but I used a gold paint pen as the new fret markers. Just didn’t think that was what I wanted to do with this one.

Uncle Hanky and Marko 1 like this.
  17. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    My second bass was a cheap fretless Precision copy with no markers except a dot at the 12 and incredibly high action. I also had an Ovation acoustic fretless with no fretlines, not sure if it had side markers.

Taught to play with my ears, not my eyes, which was a good thing.

jackn1202 and Mugre like this.
  18. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    The latter would surely have to be painful...

makdub likes this.
  19. nalapit13

nalapit13 official player and catcher of bass Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Middlesex, NJ
    image.jpg The fret marker dot on the Warwick looks like it’s in line with where the first fret would be if there was fretwire there. Or am i seeing it differently? That’s where the dots are on my Elrick, the dots should line up with the fret lines if it were a lined Fretless.

Helix and rtav like this.
  20. Tim Schnautz

Tim Schnautz

Jan 30, 2000
    The dot doesn't bother me as much as that weird nut.....