NBD: Fanned fret awesomeness

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassAgent, Sep 30, 2018.

1. BassAgent

BassAgent

Dec 2, 2003
    Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Official Artist: Eich Amplification
    So Dingwalls never really got to me, the few times I heard them they didn't appeal to me. Until last March, I was at the London Bass Guitar Show and so was Sheldon Dingwall. He had some basses with him (a.o. a 5-string and 6-string Combustion, a D-Bird) and I immediately fell in love with a trans white 5-string Combustion. It has been in my head for a few months and I tried to find one second hand, and even considered ordering a brand new one.

And then I got a message: I could buy the bass I played in London! Good price, good bass, directly from Dingwall. So that's what I did. Instead of waiting 7 months for a new one, I had mine in 7 days. And. It's. Awesome. My girlfriend still has to get used to the view of all those Fender-ish instruments and one totally different on the wall, but even she likes it wink.png

as9oRkl.jpg
    YAa0MtL.jpg
    EFw9GYg.jpg
    reW5ZGl.jpg
    zZZQy7V.jpg

lgrankin, MonetBass, kobass and 42 others like this.
  2. Congrats. That’s a beauty. I love the white stain.

I’ve played a couple Dingwall Combustions and NG2’s now and they are really comfortable basses with a beautiful tone anywhere on the neck on any string. If I was in the market for another fretted bass, it would be a no brainer to me.

BassAgent likes this.
  3. Do not worry, you will soon have enough of them wonky sideways fretted things that them Fenders-ish things will become the odd ones out. :D

Enjoy, and welcome to the club. :thumbsup:

4. BassAgent

BassAgent

Dec 2, 2003
    Hahaha I doubt that ;)

5. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Congrats! I'm curious though, why did the FF get to you that time after having tried them out before?

6. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I love fanned fret basses. Seems like they would be really strange to play, but it’s just the opposite. To me they are so much more comfortable.

7. BassAgent

BassAgent

Dec 2, 2003
    Long story, has something to do with me being an Eich artist but have no idea what the exact thing was.

8. Nice! yeah i love my dingwall EB4D634B-54CA-4A7C-BC88-AD61094280A8.jpeg Dig that trans white finish on yours. If you haven’t already figured it out your dingwall will fit in a fender case. I use a skb for fender case for mine. I’ve been searching for a backup 5 string but might just hold out, save up, and get another dingwall.

I actually didn’t have to wait too long to get mine because I bought it from Shomemusic and they had already had the one I wanted on order way before I talked to them so for anyone interested in a dingwall and you don’t want to basically pay the new price for a used one or wait forever for a new one check out shomemusic.com. They have several combustion’s and NGs in stock right now and more already on order.

9. BassAgent

BassAgent

Dec 2, 2003
    I don't use cases, hate those :) But I already knew it would fit in my Mono bag. I have a De Gier Bebop that's bigger than this Dingwall.

ObsessiveArcher and Nephilymbass like this.
  10. Gigbags do a fine job for most situations. I just wont put a bass in a gig bag and then put it in the Band trailer we use for out town gigs so we can ride together. For in town gigs I prefer gigbags

11. BassAgent

BassAgent

Dec 2, 2003
    In a Mono case? No problemo.

ObsessiveArcher likes this.
  12. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    +1 on the see-thru white. BEAUTY!

13. MD Stingray

MD Stingray Guest

Jan 17, 2008
    Nice bass! Lightweight?

14. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    Sweet.:woot:

15. CatchaCuda

CatchaCuda

Feb 3, 2018
    Transfer, PA
    She's a beauty, that's for sure. Congrats! I'd love to get my hands on a Ng2 or combustion. Right now funds are not there.

Enjoy her, how does she sound?

16. The first Dingwall changes everything!

The_Owl, S-Bigbottom and MDH bass like this.
  17. BassAgent

BassAgent

Dec 2, 2003
    Very! I have no scales at home but she's a lot lighter than my Bebop (which is pretty heavy). Very comfortable :)

@CatchaCuda Well, I have only heard her at the LBGS on Eich amps at which she sounded absolutely amazing, have rehearsed with her already but that was on a crappy Peavey amp (which was also pretty impressive) so can't wait to hook her up to my own amp next Wednesday. First: camp with the school I work for :D

18. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

nice looking ax! congrats on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

19. Pyrat

Pyrat Supporting Member

LOVE playing fan-fret (I have the LTD but I'm not here to sell product) and all the other mono-scales are gathering dust. It's the tone! Glad you found one that fits you, ENJOY!!!

20. DavetheDude

DavetheDude

Nov 28, 2014
    Germany
    Congrats, enjoy it! Could you please me one thing?

I have a humming Problem, i think it might come from a bad of faulty grounding (because it stops when i touch the strings or hardware)

Do you have the Same issue?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2022