1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD - Fender Am Orig 60s P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JWags, Oct 26, 2018.

1. JWags

JWags Guest

Jul 4, 2018
    This is a 2018 Fender American Original 60s Precision in LPB that I picked up from :eek: Guitar Center yesterday. Yes, the action was sky high and it needed some serious adjustments, but I put on a set of TI Jazz Flats last night and was able to set it up quite nicely.

I had a bit of a "gear meltdown" recently and wasn't very happy with what I had in my arsenal. I was using an Elite Jazz bass for the funk band I'm in and it just wasn't cutting it. I actually began to loathe that bass and couldn't wait to unload it. I've gone through an obscene amount of gear in the last year, going on that quest for tone, and I finally realized that I needed to go back to the basics. My style is mainly finger funk and I think this bass will suit quite nicely.

The neck is robust to say the least and, even though it has a 1.73" nut width, it still feels very comfortable. The string spacing on a bass like this vs. a Jazz is like going from a 2-lane back road to a 4-lane expressway. Wow! Plus, the tone is amazing. I get to put her through the paces tomorrow night at a Halloween gig. :bassist: 60s Precision.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  2. walkbassman45

walkbassman45 Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Cooperstown, N.Y.
    I have the exact same setup and love it. You are right, the tone is great. I put mine through a Bergantino Forte and HDN 112 cab.

JWags likes this.
  3. JWags

JWags Guest

Jul 4, 2018
    Very cool! I'll be using a Mesa 800+ and two 1x15 Fender neo cabs.

walkbassman45 likes this.
  4. walkbassman45

walkbassman45 Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Cooperstown, N.Y.
    I started on a Precision, then went to a Jazz for about 20 years and bought this when I needed a change. At first I was hesitant to go back to the wider neck, but after trying it out, I was pleasantly surprised at how nice the neck felt. I was considering a Mesa 800+ as I had a Mesa Mpulse 600 that was nice, but the music store I freqent, did not have one left for me to try. I had heard nothing but great things about Bergantino and took a chance as I always try before I buy. I'm glad I did. I'm now saving for another 112 cab.

5. JWags

JWags Guest

Jul 4, 2018
    In my year-long gear flipping craziness, I had a Forte and a CN212 for a short while. I really liked the tone but the 212 was a bear to lug around and then I did a brief experiment with a Fender Bassman 500 and a couple of 4x10s. Again, it’s been insane on my part blowing through all of this gear to finally settle on a P Bass and a couple of 1x15s. Like I said, it’s back to the basics. I had to get real with myself and finally say enough is enough.

6. S.F.Sorrow

S.F.Sorrow

Dec 6, 2014
    It looks great!!! I'm glad it worked for you.

I'm normally a HUGE fan of Fender P-basses but for me personally the neck profile on the AO 60s P-bass was almost unplayable. I've owned LOTS of P-basses over the years and this is the first one I just can't handle at all. It's not that it's too wide. My AVRI 57 is even wider and is one of my favourites. It's not that it's too deep either. I have several basses that I love with deeper neck profiles than this. I have no problems with baseball bats. But this particular neck profile... I find it hard to get my hand "around" the curve of the neck. My left hand starts hurting after just 20mins or so. This particular combination of width/depth/radius doesn't work for me AT ALL.

I've read some comments around here on how close the AO 60s is to the AVRI 63. Sound+build quality: yes! Neck: NO, absoutely not, very different! I love the AVRI 63. Possibly the best non-CS Fender I've ever played and the neck feels just PERFECT to me. Very different from the AO 60s. Of course the AO might work better for YOU, just don't expect it to be similar to the AVRI 63.

The factory setup on my AO 60s was very poor too. I would say shockingly poor for an instrument in this price range. It seems the OPs bass had similar issues with a "sky high" action.

I should have spent more time testing it before buying but sadly that wasn't really an option. Plus I never expected a P-bass neck to cause me problems after owning, playing and loving LOTS of different P-basses for over 30 years. Fender specs are of course pretty useless as a guideline. According to their specs both the AO and the Professional P-bass have a "1963 C" neck profile. Very helpful... The nut width is of course listed too but still. The Pro has a COMPLETELY different neck (and a very comfortable one IMO).

Opinions on neck profiles will of course be VERY different and personal for different people but I'm generally not picky about necks and this one felt horrible to me. Considering the price I paid the AO 60s is probably my worst bass purchase ever. I'm sure it will work and feel great for lots of players but my advice is: Try before you buy!!! The neck is definitely in the extreme end of the spectrum and may not suit all players (if it helps: my hands are probably around average or slightly below average for a male).

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  7. BassJuju

BassJuju Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    Our stories have many similarities and I can tell you that I think these new AO basses are the nicest I’ve played. I have that same bass and I got a 50’s in white blonde. Both not only look stunning, they cut through the mix and sound excellent. I know you are going to be pleased. Grats!

8. JWags

JWags Guest

Jul 4, 2018
    I think the sky high action was due to the bass hanging on a Guitar Center wall for a certain period of time more than anything else because I can’t imagine it leaving the factory like that. Nevertheless, it adjusted quite nicely and feels stable. The nut was even cut well which, in my experience, usually isn’t the case.

I played the bass last night on a 4 hour gig (obviously with breaks) and it was very comfortable. I won’t lie - I was concerned about my left hand becoming fatigued but it never did. It was quite a pleasure to play and the tone was spectacular.

BassJuju likes this.