1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD - Fender American Special Precision Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KlingyFungus, Oct 17, 2013.

1. KlingyFungus

KlingyFungus

Mar 20, 2010
    IMG_20131017_152405.

IMG_20131017_145035.

IMG_20131017_152252.

Got a GREAT deal at Guitar Center. They're doing some clearance sale right now. I saw a lot of good deals.

This is my second American Special. I bought my first one, back in July. It's the FSR in Honeyburst, made for GC.

I need to give this new one a deep cleaning. It's covered in two years of sweat and shed skin cells. :eek:

2. WOOSTER

WOOSTER

Aug 8, 2013
    Great lookin bass and an even better price! You stole that bass from them..Congrats

3. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Great looking bass and what a deal. Congrats!

4. Robus

Robus

Aug 25, 2013
    Chicago Area
    That is a fantastic deal! I've been into GC looking at P basses as well. They had a 2011 American Standard closeout in sunburst for $920, but my heart is telling me it must be Olympic White... So it looks like I'll be paying full coin for a 2012 or 2013.

5. Score!

6. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    Wow! Sweet deal on a gorgeous bass! Way to go!

7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Excuse my ignorance, but what makes this 'special' rather than 'standard' ?

8. elBandito

elBandito

Dec 3, 2008
    Rotten Apple
    american wood, mexican hardware

9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Finished across the border too?

10. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    The American Specials don't string thru the body, but typically share the same electronics as the American Standards... They have the same hardware as the MIM Standards, but the neck has the rods like the Am Standards, with a slightly thinner profile... To me, it's all abouth the neck - and in this case, those necks are excellent... IMO, the Am Specials are very similar to the late model Highway One, minus the nitro paint - but with better electronics... I wouldn't pay $1k for one, but for $500-$600, you get alot of bass, IMO/IME...

Congrats, OP - great deal on a nice bass...

- georgestrings

11. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    These necks are excellent. Congrats on the nice score

12. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Sweet deal. I'm still jonesin' for one of those Honeyburst FSRs...

13. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Awesome score! I saw this yesterday and called a local GC and they told me that these are still $999, so your deal appears to be a one-off deal. It would be awesome if they all came down to this price!!!!

14. KlingyFungus

KlingyFungus

Mar 20, 2010
    Quadzilla,

That sucks.

You'd think that a nation-wide store, like GC, would WANT to be consistent with their pricing to increase sales.

15. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I thought that I got a smokin deal @ $699, but you got the deal of the year on one of these! Nice score!

16. KlingyFungus

KlingyFungus

Mar 20, 2010
    Quadzilla,

Thank you.

After making sure the electronics were sound, I kept turning it over and over in my hands, just LOOKING for something to be wrong with it.

But, no, this one is just as nice, and plays as well, as the one I bought earlier. I was real lucky to be in the right place, at the right time.

17. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Love everything about that. Especially the price! Nice score!