NBD: Fender AmStd Jaguar Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by organworthyplayer337, Apr 13, 2016.

1. organworthyplayer337

organworthyplayer337 Professional Hack

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    My birthday was nearly a month ago, and I thought that I'd treat myself to something new. Now, this bass was a lot of things I said would never do, for example;

I said I would never buy new (oops)

I said I would never buy a 3TSB + Tort Fender (oops x2)

I told myself I would never buy a bass with more that 4 switches/knobs

And finally; I would never buy a bass with a rosewood fretboard...

Never say never;

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

Nice tort pattern:
    image.jpeg

Pickups:
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

Mini Review;
    As you can probably guess from all the switches, it's very versatile. On the bottoms plate it features a pickup sector switch, and a series/parallel switch. The top plate houses the active/passive switch and the 2-band EQ (bass, treble). With the PJ combo, you can get a spot on P sound or a more punchy yet crisp sound with the J pickup. You have countless tonal possibilities. A month on, I'm still very impressed with this bass. It's very light but still has a lot of bass to it. It has a blocked Jazz neck with a satin finish on the back. It's active and requires 2x 9 volt batteries (haven't needed to change them yet, came from the factory). The case is great quality very, very sturdy. I thought the offset body shape would mean neck-dive-galore when resting it on your leg but honestly it doesn't neck dive anymore than my Fender Precision.

Score:
    Fit & Finish - 9, I would give it a ten but it seems the wood selection was a little lacking for a transparent finish. Picky, I know haha

Electronics - 8, a little noisy when's the Jpup is singled with the tone full open, might have to shield it.

Sound - 10, I love a PJ set up. It's pretty much the sound I'm after 70% of the time.

Durability - ?, I assume it is very durable seeing that it's a Fender. Haven't put it to the test yet lol

Value - 9, I believe it's a good value for an extraordinary instrument. It's only about $200 more than an AmStd P from Fender. The extra cost makes sense seeing that it has an extra pup, an active EQ and a series/parallel switch and all the extra hardware that comes with those things.

Overall: 9/10

I waited a little while to make a NBD because I wanted to make sure I loved it. I do. So I made one hahaha

Thanks for reading!

*sorry some photos are out of focus or blurry

2. organworthyplayer337

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Woah! Long post, sorry about that haha

TL;DR: It's a great bass!

3. grenadilla

grenadilla

Aug 22, 2011
    alabama
    I see you have 8 adjustable polepieces on the bridge pickup. That is a stacked coil/neo magnet Jazz pickup ? I have the Japanese Jaguar Bass and it needs shielding. How about two Precision Pickups on a Jag, 'Stang, or Precision ? My polepieces are not individually adjustable.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  4. Planespotter

Planespotter

Oct 11, 2015
    Seattle
    Cool bass!

organworthyplayer337 likes this.
  5. organworthyplayer337

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Thank you

6. It's got 6 switches....what do they all do? You mentioned active/passive and series/parallel....what else?

7. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    This is one of the most beautiful basses I have ever seen in my entire life. If I had saved instead of purchased a buncha cheapos, I could probably afford one myself.

8. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Congratulations. Cool bass. I have one just like it. Amazing sounds. Mine has a little oddity in the wood selection too...

9. organworthyplayer337

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    P on/off J on/off Series/Parallel, Active/Passive and the flywheels are Bass and treble

GregC likes this.
  10. organworthyplayer337

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    first I was upset by it, then I was like "now I can tell which one is mine just by looking at" haha

It's.. unique :) any pics?

11. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Not yet. I should,
    My only (small) gripe is the position of the pickup switches. My slap technique - which is lacking anyway - means I brush my knuckles on the switches occasionally.
    I still have the original NPS strings on there, and I'm pretty sure they work perfectly on this bass.
    The P is all P, the J is all J (roll off tone by about 1/4), the PJ is AMAZING, and the active is huge (too much treble is a bit brittle for me).

12. organworthyplayer337

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    I suck at slap so it's never been a problem for me :roflmao: