NBD: Fender Blacktop Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by seungkoo, Aug 3, 2011.

1. seungkoo

seungkoo Inactive

Nov 20, 2003
    MD
    Well just got myself a brand new Fender Blacktop Precision bass. One of very few NEW basses I ever bought. Came straight from the factory and the set up was pretty decent!
    Its not set up to my liking but, the neck is pretty straight (perfect amount of relief,) action is pretty dead on good for something that came straight out of the box. The bass was out of tune by a whole step on each string! I think thats a plus on how fender ships their basses.
    I wont have a review on the sound until later this weekend when I get to use it in a live situation but for now it sounds great! I didnt think the humbucker could pull off a precision sound but it can most definately do it with a bit of growl to it.
    The new high mass bridge is massive. Whenever I get a fender I tend to take things apart and thats what I did. The bridge is HEAVY, I would put it as close to the weight and size of a badass bridge. Very well made but I might opt for a vintage style bridge later on (Planning on making this bass a fretless) The electronics look decent. Construction is top notch. Well heres the pictures!
    I will try to get clips this weekend.

btw: the bass weighs in at 9lbs (weighed twice 8.9lbs, 9.1lbs)

It was hard to capture the color so I tried taking photos with flash and without but its still hard. Its very sparkly.

blacktop031.jpg

blacktop036.jpg

blacktop028.jpg

blacktop025.jpg

blacktop024.jpg

blacktop021.jpg

blacktop020.jpg

blacktop019.jpg

blacktop017.jpg

blacktop015.jpg

blacktop015.jpg

3ac75ffe.gif

2b4f0c53.gif

ea0350a1.gif

e1070c5f.gif

2. curious to see how these sound - had a deluxe P/J w/ a bucker in the bridge a while ago and didn't like the tone at all (was active too) . . . looks cool though ;)

3. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    OOH! The pickups can be switch-ified for multiple tones. I like that!

For the record, I like this kind of review, with the bass taken apart. We need more of that here!

Congrats on the NBD, as well.

4. parsons

parsons

Feb 22, 2008
    Maryland
    that bridge looks pretty damn good for a factory piece!

5. seungkoo

seungkoo Inactive

Nov 20, 2003
    MD
    Looking at the pictures, think I can put in a p pick up in without any routing?

6. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    This is what I wanted to know....if those pickups for sure can be wired for series/single/parallel I'll be very interested in one of these!

Bill Whitehurst likes this.
  7. These are growin' on me. What's the body wood? Cool color,btw.

8. deepdown

deepdown Guest

Aug 9, 2008
    Yes! There are four wires coming from each p/u. a couple of mini toggles and, viola!!

9. seungkoo

seungkoo Inactive

Nov 20, 2003
    MD
    Anyone want more detailed pictures?

10. seungkoo

seungkoo Inactive

Nov 20, 2003
    MD
    I was wonderin why the pots were rated 500k

11. OriginalSnub

OriginalSnub

Aug 19, 2009
    Dayton, OH
    Nice bass. Definitely interested in checking one out eventually.

Didn't know adding mini toggles changed what instrument it is.:D

12. thats typical for humbuckers (or maybe I'm thinking of guitars) Congrats too, this thread is fueling my GAS! any chance you could make up a sound clip?

13. seungkoo

seungkoo Inactive

Nov 20, 2003
    MD
    I'll do it this afternoon. I left my rig at church last week because I drove my 2 seater

14. That thing looks amazing. I only knew of the Jazz Bass Blacktops until this thread. That thing looks seriously good!

Damn, why must Fender do this to me!!

15. Hmm... Very intriguing.. I didn't think I'd like the idea of this, but I do...

Congrats!

16. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Cool. What's the neck profile like? Chunkier like a regular P, or slim like a J? I'm hoping for P...

17. seungkoo

seungkoo Inactive

Nov 20, 2003
    MD
    Feels like a normal p bass neck. Has a glossy tint on the back. Haven't really owned a new fender lately but the finish feels like that of my old jaguar bass. Definitely 1.625" at nut and modern C profile

18. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science!

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Awesome!

19. Bizor

Bizor

Aug 2, 2011
    I've been REALLY wanting this bass but I want one that sounds somewhat similar to the typical P-bass (Mark Hoppus Signature). But I really like the look and price of this Precision Blacktop. Would you say that I should go for it since it can sound similar to a typical P-bass?

20. seungkoo

seungkoo Inactive

Nov 20, 2003
    MD
    For $400 it's best bass out there for the money new

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021