1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD Fender Classic 50s Precision Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thom Fioriglio, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Here is my new 2018 Fender Classic 50s Precision Bass in sunburst. I just love the look and feel of the 50s P Bass. Strung with Fender 9050L flatwounds. I had been keeping my eye out for one of these since I got my Fender Road Worn 50s P Bass about 2 months ago. The Road Worn is a fantastic bass, but there is something about it I just never got attached to. I love the Road Worn look, but I wanted the same bass but in "new" condition. The previous owner kept it immaculate. I've read the discussions around here on how great the RW is, but my preference is for shiny and new over faked worn.

Pictures with chrome covers on and off. I love how they look, but they just get in the way of how I play.

Any owners of a Classic 50s, please feel free to reply with your thoughts on this bass.

IMG_7671.JPG IMG_7677.JPG IMG_7681.JPG IMG_7682.JPG IMG_7673.JPG IMG_7684.JPG

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Both are just beautiful. I have a 50’s in the fiesta red, not a fan of the color, I really wanted the SB but the price I paid with a Fender molded case was too much to pass by. It is my main bass now, and everyone comments how great it sounds. Just a fantastic bass. Now I can help you dispose of the RW if you like!

Edit: the finish on the bass is nearly indestructible to wear and scratches. What you can’t do is drop it

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    Thom Fioriglio likes this.
  3. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Another point: a lot of folks don’t like the huge necks on these. Not me, it is the perfect neck for me. I suppose it has a lot to do with the horrible basses I learned to play on in the late 70s.

Another point. When you have the bridge cover off put the screws back in the holes; it looks better and keeps the mojo from leaking out. :woot:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    Thom Fioriglio likes this.
  4. Thanks for the feedback. Nice to hear from another owner of this bass. The Sunburst was my only preference in this bass. The other colors are ok, but this is a classic look. My previous bass was a Fender Player Precision which had a slimmer neck. It took a few days to get used to the larger neck, but now it just feels right. I do like the poly coat. The wood grain just shines though. Lol, I go back and forth with the screws in the bridge holes. I had them in then took them out. Though you have a good point about the mojo Nice to meet you and thanks for the comments.

96tbird likes this.
  5. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    do they sound different? i had both and found the road worn was much more resonant.

6. Unless I did a side to side recording I can’t tell any difference just practicing at home through my amp. I’ve been going back and forth with them today and the difference is the feel. Road worn just feels more broken in.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 15, 2021