1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD! Fender Classic '70's J! Pics later!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Salamenster, Aug 11, 2012.

1. ¡Hola!,

Today I bought my Fender Classic 70's Jazz Bass, at first, when I compared it to my old fake-fender J (with flats), I was quite disappointed...

But now, wew. An epiphany! It has a really nice growl to it, and it got me back to roundwounds again! It has really got that Marcus Miller vibe... True groove and clarity! :ninja:

It's quite odd, because I get the best sound with no EQ whatsoever... With my old J, I EQ'd the heck out of it to make it sound good, but with this new beauty, I keep everything at midnight.

Both PU's: Snappy groove/modern fingerstyle (Think Wilkenfeld) great for slap,
    Back PU soloed: Serious growl,
    Tone control closed (if necessary neck PU soloed): Woofing lows.

So I suppose my old J will be defretted soon... ^^

Pics later, gonna shoot'em now. :bag:

2. Now, there she is:

3. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Nice lookin' bass there. Congrats!

4. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Geez! That sunburst is REALLY bright! More so than almost every sunburst I've seen. I can actually make out the yellow in the center. Congrats!

5. Thx, all. The only problems I have encountered so far are low output (not too much of an issue) but also an high pitched noise (buzzlike) which disappears when I roll off my tone knob... Is this normal, because I know hum is normal when using singlecoils, but also with both PU's on full?

Thx.

6. I had one of these and wished I'd kept it. Best jazz sound I've ever had. Be careful with the bullet-truss rod; the inherent design is good, but needs experience to adjust. Just my 3 cents.

7. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Every one of these I have played sounded great. Best Fender MIM bass IMO.

8. solderjunkie

solderjunkie

Jan 27, 2008
    Nashville TN
    See if you can raise the pickups a bit to increase the output. I've seen many Fenders with "weak pickups" that really just needed the pickups raised.

The noise. That's not hum, it's buzz... a completely different issue. Shield it with either copper foil or graphite paint and it will nearly disappear.

9. Hi all,

Today I tried it in a band setting and it sounded really great! It was well seated in the mix, although I was playing trough a Behringer Keyboard amp. It had enough punch and lows to give solid fundamental, but it was still singing and clarity all over the place and, as said, it has a GREAT slap/funk sound.

@solderjunkie, what do I need to shield with copper foil or graphite paint? And is that very visible, because I don't want to ruin the looks.

@PBnJBassist, the photo was taken with a spotlight focused on it, but my camera still flashed >.<. That makes it look more bright than it is in reality. It's actually a quite mellow and orangy sunburst.

But thanks all for the great input! I hope this bass will stay with me for the following years to come!