1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD Fender Classic 70's Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gorn, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    It's been a little while since a nbd so I figured I was due. Found this in sam ash. It's "new" though it's been at that store for as long as I can remember. It had a scratch or two from rambunctious teenagers playing what I'm assuming was never ending slap grooves in E, so the price was good and I talked them down even more. I really love my jazz with a chunky cabronita neck. I thought chunk only came with wide p necks. I didn't know a j could be chunky front to back also. I picked it up and flew all over the fretboard much more easily than I could on my wide cabronita neck. The bullet truss access is nice. The next best thing to a musicman style wheel like the modern players. Sounds pretty good. I'm not sure if I prefer the sound of it over my jazz with scn noiseless pups. I may swap necks. We'll see.
    image. image.

Tbone76, Flad and MovingPitchers like this.
  2. Not really a fan of the rosewood neck with binding and inlays, but that looks killer! Congrats!

3. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

WE ARE BROTHERS!!
    70sJazz01_zps10e97b2c.

The curvy 7.25" fretboard radius was a big selling point for me. The rosewood board+blocks+binding was esthetic gravy…tres chic! :cool:

Love the Hell out of it, mon Capitaine! :thumbsup:

Guinness20 and Tbone76 like this.
  4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    After obsessively A/B-ing this and my Frankenjazz, I prefer the sound of my mij jazz but I love this neck. I'm gonna do a swap and put the 70's body up for sale tomorrow when I can take pictures in better light....if anyone's interested.

This neck really is something. So a smaller radius means a rounder fretboard, right? It's so much easier to play that way. It seems this radius isn't that popular? Is there some disadvantage to a rounder fretboard that I'm missing?

5. Even by looking at that neck, it looks thinner than my standard MIM neck..

6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    So it seems the cosmetic flaws aren't why they sold it for several hundred dollars less than it costs new. A stripped truss rod nut is a better reason. Liars. It's going back.

7. Z -Bar

Z -Bar

Sep 9, 2009
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Nice! I'm a sucker for block inlays. I like narrow fret boards and thicker necks myself.

8. el_cody_loco

el_cody_loco

Feb 13, 2013
    Rounder radii is something most guitar builders stay away from due to the choking out that occurs when you bend the string high up the neck (never had an issue with it, but it happens). With bass, it's a completely different issue, I imagine, since you don't really bend a bass the same way you bend a guitar. A bass with a rounder radius makes it easier to wrap one's fingers around naturally, but it can be somewhat slower than a 12"+ radius neck if you're into fancy fingerwork.

This is just my 2 cents, so take it with a grain of salt (or even the whole shaker, if you feel so inclined :D). I honestly LOVE the 7.25 radius on guitar and basses, but it does have its ups and downs.

I kinda wish they didn't screw you over on the truss rod :( that's just a load of balls. Here's wishing your next buy goes well!

EDIT: spelling errors

Malak the Mad likes this.
  9. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    oh man - that sucks…

josiah goldfish likes this.
  10. Aaaahhhhh Man..... that is such BS. Sorry to hear this. I hope it works out.

11. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    Sorry about the stripped nut.
    BTW, some people do not like that the more convex fretboards will put the A and D strings further away from the (flat) pickups on a Jazz.
    On a Precision it can be compensated for, on a Jazz not.

12. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I'm really, really sorry to hear about the truss rod issues. I hope you can pull off a satisfactory resolution.

As far as fretboard radii go, yes, a smaller radius equals a rounder fretboard. Some people prefer it over flatter boards, others the opposite and then there are those who can work with either or have no preference at all. In my case, I prefer the curvier boards. That's probably because my first bass was a Fender Aerodyne (same as the Classic '70s Jazz). It's what I adapted to first. It's also why I'll never buy an SX from Rondo Music, which is a shame since I like some of their models. But all their fretboards have a super-flat 14" radius. Ah well. :(

Captain, if you liked the feel of the neck, I don't think it would take much work to find a similar neck as a "stand alone" item, like the ones occasionally sold by the Strat-osphere on eBay. Also, like I mentioned above, the Aerodyne has the same radius, but it might be a bit thinner front-to-back. I'm sure there are others, but I can't think of them off the top of my head right now.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck! :thumbsup:

13. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    The Aerodynes I have tried were much thinner front to back than the Classic 70s ones. Almost opposite sides of the scale, I think. The Classic is one or two mm thicker than Am Std, while the Aerodyne is at least one mm thinner.