NBD (Fender Content, Gold Hardware Content

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ThuzzleFump, Sep 18, 2016.

1. ThuzzleFump

ThuzzleFump All your bass...

Nov 15, 2015
    California
    Here are some shots of my latest find: 1996 50th Anniversary Special Edition P-bass. Very nice classic P, with excellent workmanship, flame maple top and back, special gold flake burst finish, and gold hardware.

I usually avoid gold, but it works here. This bass plays as great as it looks. It's also nice and light and everything shows a high level of hands-on craft and attention to detail. Loving it.

2. bassyboyg

bassyboyg

May 28, 2014
    vermont
    Wow...do you know the weight?

3. ThuzzleFump

Nov 15, 2015
    California
    Haven't weighed it yet, but it feels light and well-balanced.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  4. bassyboyg

bassyboyg

May 28, 2014
    vermont
    You can see the attention put into every detail right down to the beautiful straight grain in the fret boards
    rosewood...so its all maple top and back?.. its like a Cadillac P bass just beautiful, You see lots of pride from the team that turned
    the special editions, I wonder where were they made...Fullerton?

5. ThuzzleFump

Nov 15, 2015
    California
    I had the same thought. Def can see that the builders selected the wood carefully and the whole thing in person has that "nicer than standard" look and feel. It has flame maple top and back. Pretty sure they are over a core of lighter wood because it's not a heavy instrument.

I saw pictures before I bought it, so I knew kinda what to expect. I did actually gasp when I saw it in person for the first time. The little gold flecks in the burst paint weren't noticeable in the pics I saw, so when I took the photos here I was careful to get one shot where you can really see 'em.

There is surprisingly little info on this model online. It's US-made, and clearly has significant hand work by skilled people, but beyond that I can't say.

Glad you like it and can see what I saw in it. BTW the axes in your avatar are none too shabby, either.

PS don't tell my other basses, but at the moment, this one is really the most special in my collection.

6. bassyboyg

bassyboyg

May 28, 2014
    vermont
    Unfortunately they were lost when our house burned down Jan 2nd 2015
    heres what was left they were both 66' 1565973_9da5818562b8a5a868f5ed718bc3afd2.jpg

7. Still a sad picture to see.

8. ThuzzleFump

Nov 15, 2015
    California
    That's a *serious* bummer. It's a great photo, though.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 26, 2021