NBD: Fender Custom Shop ‘59 Precision - I guess blondes really do have more fun!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tb-player, Jan 14, 2021.

1. tb-player

tb-player Gold Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2019
    A few weeks ago I posted about an American Original 60s Jazz Bass I purchased. It was a really nice bass, but I ended up returning it to Sweetwater (it's listed there for $200 off if you're interested). Nothing wrong with it... the AO 60s series are some of the best instruments Fender is making right now. It's just that all my basses are jazz style and I need a good, old school precision.

A couple of days ago, I found this beautiful blonde Fender Custom Shop '59 Precision Bass on the TB classifieds & pulled the trigger. It arrived earlier today and looks to be in really great shape. It was made in 2008. It has a nicely shaped neck with a 1.75" nut. The fret work looks immaculate. The relic is tasteful and the finish is gorgeous. Nice ash woodgrain on this one, with the always gorgeous gold anodized scratch plate. It even came strung with a new set of LaBella flats. I can't wait to plug it in when I get it home.

My hope is that this will become my main studio bass. Fingers crossed!

(And if that's not enough, I'm headed to Connecticut tomorrow to pick up a beautiful New Standard La Scala Double Bass. It's turning into a very good bass week! :smug:)

IMG_1158.jpg IMG_1160.jpg

2. Gnal

Gnal

Apr 22, 2014
    That’s a beauty

Eric66, Son of Wobble and tb-player like this.
  3. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Pure P seks

4. tb-player

Mar 6, 2019
    Thanks. The neck is wide & thin so it feels really nice too.

StevieMac likes this.
  5. That is truly incredible. I can't think of a more perfect P. Congratulations!

6. Beautiful Bass.....Have fun with this one!!

Eric66 and tb-player like this.
  7. tb, congratulations, I have one of these and it is everything I could ever ask for in an old-school, split coil precision.

It is a very dark sounding, mid-heavy bass. Perfect with flats. It has that textbook P bass sound that is ridiculously versatile. I can play anything - from Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong, to KC and the Sunshine Band, right through to Public Image Limited - and it sounds perfect.

60197677_10157406797829674_7189161124720279552_n (2).jpg

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  8. tb-player

Mar 6, 2019
    Nice!! I plugged it in and was floored. The flats do sound phenomenal. I can’t get over the wide, thin neck. It is so comfortable. I feel very fortunate to have found this one.

StevieMac likes this.
  9. Yeah, that neck is something else. It forces me to think about economy of motion in my playing: a 'less is more' approach if you will. It almost demands to be played in the lower register like a double bass i.e. bouncing off the open strings and so on.

The bass is perfect for acoustic singer/songwriter accompaniment, and sounds sublime played with a pick between the pickup and the end of the fingerboard - especially with some sort of muting going on.

mellow yellow likes this.
  10. tb-player

Mar 6, 2019
    I’m not sure what that means, but it sounds about right. :thumbsup:

staurosjohn likes this.
  11. tb-player

Mar 6, 2019
    It really is. It kind of surprised me how much I like it.

12. Try saying it out loud.
    Nice bass!

13. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

:thumbsup:

it's a 'priceless circumstance' when we find something that beckons us to play --- congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

C Stone likes this.
  14. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    Thanks... drooled over that one when it was posted. Glad it’s found a good home. I liked the AO series, but like the FCS stuff much more.

Rock on!

tb-player likes this.
  15. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Love it.

tb-player likes this.
  16. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

Oh that is so sweet . . . . .

tb-player likes this.
  17. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    Enjoy that thang. Great snag!

tb-player likes this.
  18. ghorvers

ghorvers

Dec 22, 2005
    Crazy beautiful! I bought myself a CS 59 last December. As soon as I picked it up I knew I simply had to have it. The necks on these are incredible and the tone is just right, especially with flats.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    tb-player likes this.
  19. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Congrats!

I spotted that when it was posted-nice score!!!

20. tb-player

Mar 6, 2019
    Same. The timing was perfect. Thanks!

kobass likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021