1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD: Fender Custom Shop '64 Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by soxhats, Jan 1, 2012.

1. soxhats

soxhats Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Sometime in 2011, I developed an intense and irrational infatuation with seafoam green. Specifically, a seafoam green Fender Jazz. Oh, the many nights spent in front of the computer in a darkened room, staring lustily at the "Show Us Your Seafoam Green Basses" thread. I prowled the intertubes for months, searching for the bass that would fullfill my desire. No, my need.

A couple of weeks ago, I decided I could wait no longer and splurged somewhat nervously (because of the cost) on a Custom Shop '64 Jazz. Bought it on eBay from Bizarre Guitars in Reno, NV. I don't normally like buying a bass on eBay, especially one as expensive as this one, but I decided to take the chance. Bizarre Guitars posted the bass I craved: Vintage specs (7.25" radius, vintage frets). And did I say it was seafoam green?

The bass arrived Friday. (Finally. Though Bizarre Guitars shipped immediately, UPS was unusually slow, I suppose due to the holiday season.) I unpacked the bass, and it immediately took my breath away. Everything I imagined, and then some. Other than a string change (from stock Fender to DR Sunbeam nickel) and StrapLok installation, I had to do nothing. Intonation perfect. Just has the feel and sound of a super-high-quality instrument.

I sold a 2009 oly white American Standard Jazz that I liked to help pay for this and, though I experienced some remorse when that bass sold on TB, I'm happy now that I did it.

I plan to gig with it for the first time Thursday Jan. 5. Here are a couple of photos. (I removed and stored the chrome pickup ashtray but kept the bridge cover on.) The color of seafoam green basses is notoriously difficult to capture in photos -- like many beautiful women, they look different in every photo -- but I think these pix give the idea.

BTW, Bizarre Guitars was really great to deal with.

2. ReBass

ReBass Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    Beautiful! I love my CS '64 Jazz. I'm sure you'll get lots of great use out of it.

3. soxhats

Jan 4, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks!

4. j.kernodle

j.kernodle Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    heck yeah! I drooled over that same bass on eBay! congrats to you. I have a similar infatuation with that color and placed an order with Greg at rocket music for a surf green mike lull jazz with tort. I just decided to go with a Birdseye board instead of the rw. but I love the look of yours. congrats again!

5. soxhats

Jan 4, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks, man! Oh, you'll love that Mike Lull. I once had a Lull P4 and selling it was one of the dumber things I've ever done.

6. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Great color, great bass--congrats!

7. soxhats

Jan 4, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks! And, btw, happy new year to all in the TB community.

8. Wicked bass, man!
    I've got a CS '64 in shoreline with a matching headstock being built right now but it's still many months away from completion

9. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    If that plays and sounds anything like it looks then that must be one killer bass! :bassist:

10. slick_tu

slick_tu

Sep 19, 2006
    South Jersey
    That IS beautiful. Best of luck with it. I have two CS '64 NOS Jazz basses, 3TS and LPB (in my avatar) and love them. The Custom Shop stuff feels so much better. I just received my CS '60 NOS Precision 3TS Thursday.

11. That color is so beautiful it's ridiculous!!

12. GreenWithEnvy

GreenWithEnvy

Dec 20, 2011
    Gorgeous bass. Congratulations. I also own a 64 CS Jazz in Seafoam with the tort pickguard. It looks just like yours. It's a beautiful bass guitar. I went on to purchase a 60 CS Jazz in Seafoam with matching headstock and gold hardware and a mint pickguard. That was another beautiful bass and the birdseye maple on the neck was outtasight on that one.

Where is the Seafoam Green and Surf Green club so I can get my number?

13. Very nice! Congratulations. Great way to start the new year! What strings are you using on it?

14. soxhats

Jan 4, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    GreenWithEnvy -- love the handle!

I'll check to see if there's a club -- if not, there should be -- beyond the photos thread.

15. soxhats

Jan 4, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Strings are DR Sunbeams. I like those on a Jazz. And the nickel should be easier on the vintage frets than steel.

16. GreenWithEnvy

GreenWithEnvy

Dec 20, 2011
  17. soxhats

Jan 4, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Wow. Just wow. Each one prettier than the next. That '60 with the painted headstock is particularly awesome.

18. GreenWithEnvy

GreenWithEnvy

Dec 20, 2011
    I'm not a very good photographer, but I had to show you the birds eye maple neck on the 60. I don't think the camera does it justice, but it is extraordinary.

Attached Files:

19. soxhats

Jan 4, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Spectacular.

20. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Great bass my man... wow!