1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD! Fender Deluxe P Bass Active Special

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ewgrosschris, Mar 31, 2015.

1. ewgrosschris

ewgrosschris

Jan 12, 2015
    Hello Everyone!

I'm pumped to finally get a decent quality bass, should be an upgrade from my ibanez sr250.

I had been keeping my eye on this bass for a while, searching for one in blizzard pearl. Yesterday I checked Fenders website and saw that color wasnt listed anymore. I panicked and called Fender directly. Someone in sales found the last one available (EVER) in the warehouse, and I yelled at him to take my money. I'm really excited to continue my bass career on such a wonderful looking guitar.

Does anyone have any recommendations for this bass? I could use suggestions on strings.
    (I play mostly with a pick and enjoy playing along to rock tunes Coheed and Cambria / Taking back sunday / Paramore ect..)

I was thinking Elixir nanoweb coated lights. But I'm open to other suggestions. I also have future plans on possibly changing out to a beefier bridge, a high quality P/J pickup set and trying to make the Dark Glass Tone Capsule work with this bad boy.

Thanks all I'll be sure to add pictures, I should have it by the end of the week.

UPDATE! : Fender shipped me the blizzard pearl with rosewood neck, I had asked for the maple neck. I have someone checking to see if there is any availability of BP w/ maple available. Keeping my fingers crossed, if not I may just keep the rosewood neck or maybe switch to another Fender model. Possibly a standard black P with maple neck and switch the white pickguard to a black one. We will see.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  2. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Can't wait for the pics.
    I've always wanted a Fender Deluxe P bass in Blizzard Pearl and finally found one in a pawn shop by me for a good price. Funny thing about those BP paint jobs is that some are a silvery gray and some vintage white/ivory yellow, and this one was just the wrong white for me...but I really liked the way it sounded.
    I finally did get my first P bass, though, a Lake Placid Blue 60th anniversary model and put on GHS black tapewounds...now, I finally have a hard-body with a tone to match that of my Dean Exotica. Seriously, these strings thump with a capital T and they look great with the maple fretboard.
    I was a flatwound guy but I'm going tapewounds on my Jazz, too. It has an Audere JZ3 preamp and Fender Super 55 pickups and I'm thinking about the new La Bella gold tapewounds.
    Have you ever tried tapewounds?
    By the way, my P bass has a Babicz bridge. I got lucky findind a used bass with one of those.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  3. ewgrosschris

ewgrosschris

Jan 12, 2015
    Never tried tapewounds, nor do I know what they are. I'm using Exlir nanoweb mediums right now. I can't decide if i want heavy or light strings. I want to be able to drop down to C# and DGCF but I want the ease of lighter strings.

4. KickingBass

KickingBass Look into it

Got mine a few weeks ago but its been in the shop to get it modified for BEAD tuning and im changing out the jazz pickup to an Aguilar HC. Its a pretty aggressive sounding bass surprisingly but ive had limited time with it so far. I will recommend Dunlop nickel plated strings, they are great for the price in my opinion. Ive tried others but I go back to Dunlop because they are not overly bright, cheap and they just feel right on my fingers.

5. ewgrosschris

ewgrosschris

Jan 12, 2015
    UPDATED!