1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD Fender Dimension Modern Player, already want something else.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by yakmastermax, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Keep it and cough up for a custom pickguard

33 vote(s)
    45.8%
  2. Sell as is and buy the Dimension you want

35 vote(s)
    48.6%
  3. Combine it with a Squier Deluxe for the color you want and possibly better electronics?

4 vote(s)
    5.6%
  1. Hey guys!

Got a new bass yesterday. Fender Modern Player Dimension Bass. Picked it up for an absolute steal on Craigslist.

Pros:
    Got it for a fantastic price ($380 for the bass an a brand new Ampeg BA-115V2, a $400 combo amp).
    TONE, I love the way this guy sounds. There are 5 different pickup configurations with the triple humbucking pickup setup. The front and rear pickups by themselves hum, but the middle 3 positions all sound quite good. My favorite is the rear and middle pickup engaged. It sounds great! lots of balls and harmonics.
    Fender on the headstock. I've got to admit, I really do like this.
    Plus the headstock and the neck have the gloss finish. I think only the Modern Player Dimension basses got this. I'm a big fan.
    Nice solid bridge.
    Neck is thinner than a P-Bass, thicker than an Ibanez Sound gear.
    Passive, nice that you can just leave it plugged in. Lots of tone for a passive bass.
    Body style and feel. I love the look of the body style, and the feel of the body.

Cons:
    Not my color at all. I mean I could deal with the black if there were some pickguard options, but there aren't any.
    I prefer Sunburst. Not the cherryburst, or even the violin for that matter. The Sunburst.
    Can't find any aftermarket pickguards.
    I opened her up to tighten the input jack (it was horrendously loose), and I wasn't impressed with the wiring or the electronics. The ground shield that goes around the pickup wires had come loose off of a pot, and the pickup selector had also spun loose so that no matter how I tightened the nut down, it still wasn't clamped to the pickguard. I ended up using a little epoxy.
    Wish it were a fiver.
    Oh yeah, and it is made in China, and that is coming from someone who is half Chinese! Wish it were Mexico or even better, good old U.S.A.

I'm in love with the tone, and several other things about the bass, but I don't like the chintzy feel of the electronics under the pickguard, and the color doesn't do me either.

Any chance I can get something that sounds similar but that I'll enjoy more? I wonder how the American Standard HH passive would sound in comparison? How about the active Deluxe Dimension?

Thoughts on buying a Squier Deluxe Dimension in sunburst then swapping the necks, then selling the Squier neck Fender body bass?

Should I just keep it?

Pictures of course.

20170412_140531. 20170412_140518. 20170412_140332. 20170412_140356. 20170412_140504.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  2. If that was a shortscale I'd be all over it like a cheap suit.

I love black.

tattooSAM, Qlanq and BlueAliceOasis like this.
  3. You bought a black four string, and you wish you had bought a burst fiver.

I got nothin'.

4. It was very cheap. You would have done it too.

pholli00 likes this.
  5. You may know better, but I don't think I would have. I'm reasonably certain I would have saved and invested that money in something that at least met my basic preferences (finish, number of strings, etc.). After all, the preferences you stated aren't that hard to find if you exercised even a little patience and determination.

For example, I dislike black basses too. I would not have purchased that bass because it is black. See? Simple.

ColdEye, Masher88, Herrick and 11 others like this.
  6. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Would you buy pants that didn't fit because they were on sale?

stshipley, ColdEye, bbbenji and 31 others like this.
  7. I own two basses that I don't really like the looks of, because they sound just like I like them to sound. No, I'm not going to have them refinished or try and put a pickguard on them.

mngnt, Old Blastard, mpdd and 2 others like this.
  8. $380 for the bass and an Ampeg BA115V2. Needed a new combo for home, rack rig recently moved to the drummer's place.:bassist:

False equivalence; pants are not basses.:roflmao:

9. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I agree with you with the black on black hate. I hate white on white too. I say order a custom pickguard, and that thing will be smokin :)!

Tbone76, pudgychef, pjbassist and 7 others like this.
  10. Well, now there's the kind of thing it would be nice to put in the OP so as to not mislead people. ;)

A different color pickguard can make a huge difference with a black bass. Of course it will still be a four-banger with sketchy electronics. The bass is in great shape and has value, you could flip it and invest in something you like more. Lots of options on the table.

11. Xandrell

Xandrell

Aug 23, 2014
    KEEP IT. You're almost there.

Basses.

xrockstrongox, mngnt, rodv66 and 13 others like this.
  12. I think a white or more likely a black pearloid pickguard would allow me to really dig it visually. I still might not have peace of mind until that selector pot gets replaced. The triple humbucker pickup though is pretty one of a kind, and so is the gloss yellowish headstock.

Decisions decisions. This is why people do custom basses I guess!:roflmao:

Versatek6 likes this.
  13. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    I think a brown/red tortoiseshell pickguard on that bass would get a lot of the same visual feel as a sunburst paint job.

This place has 'em. I have no idea if they're good quality. I'm sure you could find someone to custom make one for you as well.

As far as a five string - if you just want the low notes, re-string it BEAD.

G-Dog, wintremute, swafran and 2 others like this.
  14. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Quickguards (the link) did a tort for my AmDlx Dim 5H, they do nice work. New pickguard and a rewire with quality components, and drive on. That said, I kinda like the black on black.

Fluid Power likes this.
  15. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Two of a kind, if you're talking about Fender instruments it was used in. The first was the Marauder guitar reissue that tanked when it was introduced in 2010.

The leftover pickups went into the V1 Dimension basses. That's why it was only around for a year or two. When the pickups were gone they moved on to the current Dimension electronics.

yakmastermax likes this.
  16. FingerDub

FingerDub Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2016
    That seems like a killer rock bass and you can never go wrong with black on black. And forgive me if I'm wrong but isn't it made in Mexico? I think Squier would be on the headstock otherwise?

17. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

White or cream pearloid pickguard!

pudgychef and Fishheadjoe like this.
  18. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    Since the bass sounds good to you, the electronics can't be bad. Clean up the compartment and shield properly if you can or have a luthier or your local shop do it.

Get a custom pickguard, although I personally think the bass looks badass.

In today's globalized world, I wouldn't give a damn for where the bass was made, as long as it is well made, feels and sounds good.

Finally, forget sunburst! Enough of them around and BORING!

19. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    None more black.:woot:

20. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    USA
    My wife does this all the time.

Anyway, the biggest point here is that you wish it were a fiver. So go get a Deluxe Dimension V! Squier, Fender, take your pick.