1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD Fender E-series P circa 1986

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jakelly, Nov 4, 2013.

1. jakelly

jakelly Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Tickled to find this bass. Its a circa 1986 E-series made in Japan. Totally unmolested as far as mods, all original. Lightly reliced from play.:bassist::)

I haven't put new strings on it and set it up yet, but I can't wait.

As far as I know, this E-series model (MIJ) was the "standard" Precision for a while when Fender was building the Corona plant. At that time only the Vintage Reissues were made in the U.S. Is that true?

pb1.

pb2.

2. ROOTSnFIFTHS

ROOTSnFIFTHS Low-end Lover since '78! Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2012
    NJ to Sin City
    Very nice looking bass! I can't answer your question though.

What's the nut width on that beast?

3. lokerola

lokerola Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Alexandria Virginia
    Oooh...is that one of the medium scale P's?

4. jakelly

Nov 8, 2009
    Thanks! The nut width is about 1 & 11/16 inches.

Lokerola Nope, its the 34 inch scale.

5. lokerola

lokerola Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Alexandria Virginia
    Ah, thanks. I'm always on the lookout for another Japanese mid-80's P. Looks like a great Bass - enjoy it!

6. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Not sure about your question, but I have one (Vintage White/maple) that I love. I did swap out the pickups for a set of Duncan SB-1s and couldn't be happier with it.

7. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    That is really gorgeous!

8. jakelly

Nov 8, 2009
    Thanks all. At first glance I thought it was a MIM P bass, was pleasantly surprised. I don't see these E-series that often and I'm always looking for cool stuff. Maybe they are getting harder to find now.

9. Mudcat35

Mudcat35

Feb 21, 2009
    Austin, TX
    You're going to love that bass! I have the exact same model. When I got it in 1989, I had a bunch of American P's. They're all gone now. I still have the E Series.

10. jakelly

Nov 8, 2009
    This is what it looks like under the hood, after I vacuumed the dust out of the cavities and wiped everything clean. Also the pots got the Deoxit treatment. Everything looks original to me. Hope I'm not wrong.

Mudcat I hope I love it that much.

DSC03854.

11. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Good looking bass.

12. almost human

almost human

Sep 30, 2010
    NYC
    Very nice!

13. sj_bass

sj_bass Supporting Member

May 23, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    Moody Leathers endorsed artist
    Beautiful! You have a real closet gem there... My Black/Maple E-series is all faded and patina'd and looking much of it's nearly 30 years of age. But it will never leave me.

As far as your question, there's a lot of history behind the Fugi-Gen E-series basses. Short story; when Fender shut down the Fullerton plant in '83, they sent all of the parts to Japan for assembly. These basses became the famous E-series basses, and IMHO they are better than the "Fullerton" basses from '80-'83. We used to joke around here about 'morning' basses and 'afternoon' basses because all of my friends who worked at the shop were busy drinking and smoking during their lunches.

Do some research for yourself... You'll realize how wonderful that bass really is.

14. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Yep, that's all original(correct cap and alternate MIJ wiring), and really clean.

I tend to like my 80's CAR with a black pickguard but there's nothing wrong with the stock white set-up.

15. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    Nice score! I have the same bass in black, same year too. The necks are great on these!

16. jakelly

Nov 8, 2009
    New Ernie Ball strings several days ago and played it at rehearsal today. Its a great bass. I really don't even see a need to change the pickup.

17. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Sorry to raise a zombie thread. I read that the E-series were made from 84-87 but the one I scored this weekend serial number is E9####. the shop said its an 89' but the site says they made E series only till 87?
    This bass is awesome, maybe the best sounding P bass I have owned to date. I have owned P basses from early 70's till 2008. Its has huge tone where I have read other say the pups are week..not here. Black on maple damn sexy beast she is.

18. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Pull the neck off and look for date stamp.

19. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    No date although there are numbers but not a date. I not a huge deal but wondered why there is an E9#### serial if they stopped making them in 87? I love the bass, has a neck to die for.

20. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    The "E" doesn't have anything to do with the 80's, nor does the first number have anything to do with the date directly, it's just a chronological thing.