1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD: Fender Franken-P-JAZZ

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by itchy, Jul 19, 2012.

1. itchy

itchy

Jan 3, 2009
    Bay Area
    I'm pretty stoked right now. I just finished building a monster...Frankenstein Jazz bass.

*Road Worn 60s Jazz Bass body
    *Road Worn 50s Precision Bass neck (one piece)
    *Fender "vintage" alnico pickups (their stock RI pups...I really dig em)
    *Gotoh 201 Bridge
    *High quality pots/tone guts
    *Fender vintage style reverse tuners
    *Thumb rest made from 2 popsickle sticks

After trying again and again to warm up to jazz necks, I finally decided to slap a P neck on a J body.

Say what you want about the RoadWorn look....the tone/feel is there. I sold a RW Jazz after loving the tone and stock pups, but hating the neck...and I love the RW P sound and feel. So I decided to base the bass on RW parts.

I'm now convinced that the neck has as much effect on the tone as the body...if not more.
    This is a jazz with bark and beef. Very resonant. I'm smitten.
    :hyper:

FrankenJAZZ.

2. perkidan

perkidan

Sep 13, 2000
    Augusta, ky
    Me likey!!!! :)

3. ejaggers

ejaggers Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    Sweet!!!

4. Are the Popsicle sticks from the standard grape, cherry or orange? In my experience, the Dreamsicle sticks are geared more towards a grindy, punchy tone that's more suitable for metal.

5. itchy

itchy

Jan 3, 2009
    Bay Area
    Haha....yes, actually one cherry, one orange.
    Sugar free, so they're not sticky.
    I just sanded down the half where the pickguard is, and contoured the edges. Painted black with a fat sharpie.
    Not bad for metal.

6. Fudgsicle sticks are best for Funk.

7. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Frankenbasses are where it's at. I do that to all my basses now, especially since Fender doesn't make them completely the way I like 'em. That, and I'm too poor to spend $1600 every time I want a bass to my specs via Warmoth. Nice bass, too. Jazz body with a Precision neck is a great combo.

8. That is one Beefy looking Jazz!

I want a Jazz as well - but that puny neck makes me shy away (got the J sized neck on my Squier VM Jag - all cramped up near the nut with my xl sized fists)

I gotta say it looks kinda funny all swole up at the nut - at first glance the brain says "there is something wrong with this Jazz"

But this something wrong may just be the something right that I need!

Beautiful Bass - You got me thinking!

9. itchy

itchy

Jan 3, 2009
    Bay Area
    Yeah, this bass is on swole something serious at the nut, cause it's the '50s size nut width - capitol "P" bass. You might like it if you have "xl sized fists". This neck carries some serious tone too.

I've always known you can swap necks, and have thought about it. But then recently I caught a bit of Jaco's instructional video from the '80s, and he's playing a Jazz with a P neck through that whole video. That pushed me over the edge.
    (Not that I have ANYTHING in common with Jaco...other than we both like Joni Mitchell;))

10. Energy

Energy

Jun 20, 2006
    Germany
    I presume the neck is a little heavier than your average J neck. What about neck dive? Is it bad? Or is the bass still balanced?

11. itchy

itchy

Jan 3, 2009
    Bay Area
    The bass is about 9.3 lbs. The balance is fine. Actually, this one piece maple neck is not as heavy as the rosewood-on-maple of the "normal" RW Jazz I had.

12. I love it, looks great....I prefer the wider, thicker P-Bass necks myself.