1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: Fender Highway 1 Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jamersonburton, Jan 8, 2017.

1. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    So after some consideration I picked this baby up. She's from 2005 and I am now the third owner. Nice comfortable neck, it seems thinner than the precisions I've played, and it plays relatively well though it will need a setup soon. This bass is really light and I love the finish and the pictures don't do it justice... but I think the general consensus on TB will be to switch out the pickguard - I'm thinking either black or tort. The d'addario chromes came on the bass and I believe they were put on by the first owner. There is some discontinuity in the rosewood fretboard, starting around the 12th fret onwards it is noticeably lighter under the E and A string. The board seems to be really dry as well so I might oil 'er up sooner than later.

Having said that, this bass is definitely a joy to play! Without further ado:

IMG_20170109_001638. IMG_20170109_001705. IMG_20170109_001803.

gfaulkner, Ghastly, Goatrope and 6 others like this.
  2. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    That's pretty man! I wouldn't change a thing! But tort would look nice .:rolleyes:

jamersonburton likes this.
  3. Very nice! Have one just like, but model year '10. Love it!

4. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Congrats. I agree that black or tort would improve the aesthetic, and improve the tone. ;)

5. jastacey

jastacey

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    I also have a Hwy 1, P-Bass, they are great upgrade platforms, I've replaced the pickguard to tort, and upgraded the tuners to the Hipshot replacements and replaced the pick-up,mine had the Badass bridge, which I kept, I did this over the course of many months ... enjoy the bass

6. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Looks cool, congrats!

7. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    Thanks!
    I have a badass ii but i'm trying to figure out what bass to throw it on. Either this or an mim standard jazz. Pickups/wiring might need replacing too but i want to see how it does with rounds before i resort to that - these chromes are really broken in so I might just wait a while.

8. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    The original Highway 1 series is great. I picked up an evil-bay 2003 model in Daphne Blue several years ago. It looks great, sounds, great, plays great - if it weren't for the lousy player standing behind it, it would be a great bass!

9. Agreed, pretty nice basses. Good bang/buck ratio.

I left mine stock (except for the knobs). Chromes are a nice match for this bass. I also like that the "1" series came stock with a threaded saddle bridge, which saved me $28 for the upgrade, which I do to all my Fenders.

The satin finish is rough, with small marks that look like imprints from being pressed against the lining of a hardcase for a long time. I like it, gives the bass a "raw" character. Neck is arrow straight, uber low action, weighs exactly 8lbs 9oz.

IMG_0010_zps172c9d04.
    IMG_0016_zps494350a6.

gfaulkner and jamersonburton like this.
  10. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    That's a beautiful bass! I'm actually thinking of getting some flat top knurled knobs for this bass, the stock ones are kind of wobbly. This pbass comes in around 8.25 lbs. So I think that's something like 8 pounds 4 ounces? I got her for a good price so I don't mind replacing some of the parts. The stock bridge is surprisingly sturdy on this one so that's why I don't want to jump the gun by replacing it with a badass.

I'm afraid of replacing the strings to rounds since these flats are so broken in so I've just been jamming to some jamerson, dunn, and sly tunes instead of playing the usual hard rock and punk rock because otherwise I would start to crave that roundwound shimmer. And don't remind me that I have three sets of unopened nickle plated steels lying around here somewhere!

Templar likes this.
  11. lpbfender

lpbfender Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Stamford CT
    Bought a red 2004 Highway 1 in 2008 from someone on Colorado. I changed the pickups to Duncan Quarter pounders and damn I love this bass. Satin finish, light and fast neck. Okay not like my AVRI 62 Precision, but I only paid $550.

Enjoy!

Zoobiedood and jamersonburton like this.
  12. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    So I made some changes. Tort guard, badass ii bridge, knurled flat top knobs, oiled the fretboard, and did a setup (all on my own, probably the first time without destroying something).
    IMG_20170119_214258.