1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD! Fender J Bass Plus totally by accident!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TRichardsbass, Oct 30, 2010.

1. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Banned Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    Okay boyz and girlz, haven't had a second to take pictures.

Was just in a local music store, asking about having a piano moved. Saw a Fender J Bass Plus hanging on the wall. Price was about what I thought they would ask.

Well, I know the guy who has been running the guitar shop for a gazillion years. I ask him what he has in it. He tells me. He then offers it to me for what he has into it. Cha Ching!

1993 or 1994 J Bass Plus. Super good condition, typical body swirls and a little dulling where most mooks hang their thumb. Neck is immaculate. Truss rod okay.

Bass has maple neck and fretboard with black body (guess I'll have to sign up for that thread too).

Here is goes guys and gals...got it for $450!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! With case!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YIPPEEEE! YAAAAHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ZOWEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will go nicely with my Kubicki Factor 4 and my Kubicki Ex-Factor.

I'll post pics when I get it to my home, cleaned and re-set up to my specs.

Did I say YYYYYYYYYYYYYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO?:hyper::D:p

2. Not exactly what I would call a screaming deal, maybe I'm wrong? Was this like Duff's from Guns N Roses? Can't go wrong with a Fender, glad you like it!

3. crazy_bassist

crazy_bassist

Dec 31, 2003
    I believe you're thinking of the Fender Jazz Special and the Plus is a different series? But the OP can confirm that once he takes pics. :D

Either way, congrats! Glad you like it!

4. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Congrats, what a find! So, this US model was replaced by the US Deluxe model. Very nice!

5. TRichardsbass

Jun 3, 2009
    Its a Jazz Bass Plus, USA made. Kubicki active electronics and circuit. Lace active J pickups as they came with.

80's Rocker, its a steal at that price. If you go to the classifieds here you usually see them listed for no less then $750. There are a couple on eBay for I think $700 or $800. There have been a couple that I think sold here for $650 about six months ago. $450 is a killer deal for ANY USA made Fender J bass in superb condition.

Yeah!

6. I say it doesnt exist!

7. TRichardsbass

Jun 3, 2009
    I'm still searching for a cached copy of the original specs, but here is something on wikipedia, for those who don't believe (that would be you carlos840)

"the Fender Jazz Bass Plus, which has the same 22-fret neck design, but utilizes a different (downsized) body styling, Lace Sensor pickups, Schaller "Elite" fine-tuner bridge on the 4-string model or Gotoh high-mass bridge on the 5-string model, and Phil Kubicki-designed active electronics."

Pix coming tomorrow night. I won't be back at my shop until then to clean it up, change the strings and set it up according to Kubicki specs (I love the way those general specs work on all my basses, including my vintage Danelectros)

tom "giddy as hell" richards

8. TRichardsbass

Jun 3, 2009
    For Carlos and friends, here is one on eBay that is exactly like mine, except mine is in MUCH BETTER CONDITION!

http://cgi.ebay.com/90-FENDER-J-BAS...9?pt=Guitar&hash=item5d2747ae2f#ht_7530wt_936

again, pix coming tomorrow!

9. Was my main bass for years - I loved it. They appear on eBay occasionally. I had trouble getting more than $300 when I sold it last year...

[​IMG]

10. ndabunka

ndabunka

Oct 8, 2010
    That first eBay auction is like me asking $3,000 for the 2003 G&L L-2500 we recently bought for my son...not realistic. Here is a more understandable eBay sale that does confirm that they are selling around the $700 mark or less as it is a $700 OBO listing and doesn't (yet) have any bids on it. But I would agree with the OP, $450 for a mint version is probably a pretty decent price. Did you ever get around to talking about them moving the piano (or are you like me and now have to go back to the store to resume the original intent of the trip..LOL)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Jazz-Plus-Bass-USA-/190461959492?pt=Guitar&hash=item2c586add44

11. Nice score especially with the upgrades. :bassist:

12. VWbug

VWbug

Sep 11, 2010
    New Jersey
    Congratulations on the new bass!:D

13. TRichardsbass

Jun 3, 2009
    First, Mr. Dos, I'm sorry you could only get $300 for yours, especially with that reverse silver/blue burst. Should have gone for a lot more.

Yes, the one at the high price is way high, and the one in Phoenix I almost pulled the trigger on, especially given the natural body.

The maple fretboard versions I have found from talking to the guys at Fender are a little more rare. More were made with the rosewood then the maple.

I'm not delusional, but its clearly worth more then I paid for it, and in a year or two when people finally have some cash it will be worth more. But heck, I'm just gonna play the crap out of it myself. Its maybe the best of the J basses I've ever played.

Okay, here are the pics. Just shined her up and put a set of Blue Steels (Nickel) on her. Sorry for the link, they are too large for the site:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=54143&id=1017046005&saved

Love ya'll!

14. TRichardsbass

Jun 3, 2009
    OH,ndabunka, yes, piano mover is coming on Wednesday, delivering a 1937 Winter Musette Spinet from a friends house. Friend hates it (it was inherited). I love it. Got it for the cost of the move ($255). Piano value? Just had an insurance agent tell me about $8K.''

Gotta love that.

15. can't see the pics.

16. TRichardsbass

Jun 3, 2009
  17. ryansalmond

ryansalmond

Nov 21, 2007
    Canada
    Still nope.

18. please, people (in general): DO NOT assume everybody in the world is logged on Facebook! I am one of the many that do not want to see their own data spread around without any good reason....

(Translated: would it be possible to see a simple couple of shots posted here?) Thanks!

;)

P.S.: congratulations! I also think you scored an excellent price for a rare & beautiful beast.