1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: Fender Japan short scale Jazz bass JB62SS smart size

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kahrmine, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Kahrmine

Kahrmine

May 25, 2013
    I just received my package from Japan today. The fit and finish are exceptional, as is expected with Fender Japan offerings. The action needed a bit of lowering, but that's it. I am really pleased with the tone of these pickups.

On Youtube you can find lots of Fender Japan jazz bass incarnations demonstrated from down the decades, and some sound fantastic and others sound just good. I was hoping for the best and I am not disappointed. These pickups sound fantastic. I think they offer a very faithful, classic J bass tone.

It's a shortie, and the body is skinnier than a regular jazz bass, but the pickups, bridge, and controls are all standard size. Also, I'm able to span 5 frets with my fingering hand from the third to seventh frets to play the Ionian scale there. That was my hope in getting a bass with such a short scale length (29.4 inches).

Anyhow, I bought the black with white pickguard, but I have a feeling I've got a custom tort pickguard in my future (maybe B/W/B). Here is another forumite's JB62SS next to a full size jazz:

jb62-3ts_ss_us-jpg.jpg

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  2. Kahrmine

Kahrmine

May 25, 2013
    I realize these have been touted here a lot the last year, but poop on the street is they are going to be, or are already, discontinued. I found mine on Ebay.

I can do things on this bass that I could not do on a full scale bass, which is nice.

BassHappy and ed morgan like this.
  3. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    would love to try one of these, I'm short, always wondered about the potential. Post a pic of the actual bass, let's see it!

Kahrmine likes this.
  4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I had one of these. It was great.
    image.jpeg

ed morgan and Kahrmine like this.
  5. Kahrmine

Kahrmine

May 25, 2013
    Yup, that's the color combination I went with, too.

I highly recommend shorter bassists with shorter fingers to explore the short-scale world of basses. The truth is, the 34" scale length, from what someone around here said, was conceived by Leo to kind of emulate a stand-up bass in electric form. Of course, this is very ergonomic for tho who are tall and have long fingers, but not so much for others.

For years I've played 34 inch scale basses and have always been a bit frustrated with developing a technique which matches my technical ability on a regular guitar. I think I found the solution in this bass (and you may, too).

BassHappy likes this.
  6. Kahrmine

Kahrmine

May 25, 2013
    Also, this bass is easily worth $750 to me.

7. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    Looks tasty! Love the skinny J body. How come you no longer have it?

8. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Bought it on a whim knowing full well I prefer long scale basses and precision necks.

9. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    And I didn't like the skinny j body. It didn't sit comfortably. Sitting down I could only play it in classical guitar posture.

And a totally vain reason was I'm a moderately large man. It looked ridiculous on me.

andruca likes this.
  10. Marko 1

Marko 1 Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    I had a Fender Mustang bass, so I have no doubt short-scale basses can sound good.

Kahrmine likes this.
  11. Kahrmine

Kahrmine

May 25, 2013
    It looks kinda like a regular guitar. basically, but if you're used to seeing long scale bases in your arms it may seem a bit awkward. I'm a regular guitarist, though, so it doesn't make me feel uncomfortable.

Plus, there are a variety of small body basses out there that are longer and slender in the bass world.

If I place it between my legs and leaning against my left thigh (I'm a righty) it feels really comfortable to sit and play with. Since the body is smaller, it's more like my wrist against the top body countour as opposed to higher up on my forearm.

I like the ergonomics on it. This is going to be my #1 bass for recording and if I ever use it live (which I haven't done a ton of over the years, but may be a possibility in the future).

I'm really loving the tones in these pickups.

12. Kahrmine

Kahrmine

May 25, 2013
    This sounds as good as any Jazz bass I've tried. I can be a bit corksniffery when it comes to pickups, too.

13. Kahrmine

Kahrmine

May 25, 2013
    The bridge pickup has that nice hi-fi treble presence that makes it easy to burp, too.

14. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    I REALLY want one of these! Already have the Fender P junior and it's my favorite bass of all time!

15. DRBassist

DRBassist

Aug 30, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    IMG_7708xx.jpg
    I have 2 of these basses and I love them! Being female with smaller hands, I love the short scale and the light weight. I use them all the time. Best basses ever!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  16. Gojiberry22

Gojiberry22

Jul 14, 2017
    Would anyone know where I could possibly find one of these? Is my best bet reverb/eBay?

Lella Gislen likes this.
  17. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    Like the MIM Fender P bass JR, these are very rare and when they do pop up for sale, they are snatched up within hours. So if you do see one, buy it immediately. I had both the JR and one of these but sold them when I stopped playing bass last year. They are excellent basses, regret selling mine.

18. JP Vincx

JP Vincx

Apr 24, 2019
    Hi Folks. New on this forum and Resurecting this thread to ask a favor!!
    I recently got a Fender JB62SS bass 2nd hand and it did not have a pickguard!! I have searched for a PG all over the web but no luck.
    Can someone kindly either point me to a pickguard maker who already has a pattern for this specific JB62SS PG (I've searched the usual suspects but no luck..) model OR worse, maybe do a tracing of your JB62SS pickguard if you have this particular bass so I can use it as pattern for a custom PG build..
    Appreciate anyone's help.. Pretty please..

cheers
    JP

19. Hazeyhaze

Hazeyhaze

Jun 15, 2019
    Have you found a pickguard yet?

20. Lella Gislen

Lella Gislen

Sep 4, 2017
    Sweden
    Anyone have one of these basses to sell? I need one badly .

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021