NBD!!! Fender Jazz Content!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by faulknersj, Apr 25, 2014.

1. IMG_2517.jpg IMG_2530.jpg I played about 15 basses, mostly high end (Custom Shop etc..) at my one and only local boutique bass shop...The Bass Place a few weeks ago. I've been on the prowl for a passive Jazz. Nothing really grabbed me. On the way out, I decided to give The MIJ Fender Jazz '1966 Reissue' hanging on the wall a try. It was set up beautifully and from the first note....i knew that this bass had 'it'. It sounded incredible... I have now owned it for about a month...I like to wait until I have really spent some quality with a bass to post a review...and I have gigged it about 20 times now. The pickups are amazing...I swapped them out with some Fender 60's Custom Shop Single Coil Pups just to get a comparative reference and immediately put the original MIJ pups back in. They have a big, pronounced low end...but are not 'boomy' at all. The mids have a nice grit and grind to them and the top end is not tinny or hissy. The bridge pup growls, barks, and cuts thru a mix like knife, The neck pup does a P-Bass tone really well. I keep the neck pup lower than the bridge to get my preferred balance. These pups seem to have larger Pole Pieces than traditional vintage jazz pups and a higher output. It has output that compares more to active basses imo. It is a full spectrum tonally and has a somewhat 'compressed' vibe to it...but in a good way. If you see these pups on TB....I would grab them...they sound amazing. The finger style and slap tone are both monstrous. I never really cared about slap tone on a bass back in the day...but now....my gig requires that a bass can perform under both circumstances. The workmanship is top notch: The neck pocket and pick guard fit are tight perfection; The neck finish, binding, and fretwork is amazing; The pickups and tuners are high quality, The strings pass right between the pickup pole pieces, and go straight to the tuners past the nut. The one knock is the decals are definitely not 'vintage correct' but the way this bass sounds...i don't care.

The Pics are of my bass; This video is one i found on you tube and i think really nails the tone of mine...I would say mine honestly sounds almost exactly like this. I will post my own Vid when I get a Chance.

IMG_2527.jpg IMG_2519.jpg IMG_2511.jpg IMG_2521.jpg IMG_2522.jpg IMG_2504.jpg IMG_2525.jpg IMG_2526.jpg
    Thanks for reading!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
    Henn likes this.
  2. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Sweet!! I love my MIJ E-Series P. Your Jazz is beautiful...

faulknersj likes this.
  3. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Beauty. Congrats.

faulknersj likes this.
  4. meatwad

meatwad

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    This is the perfect Jazz. Absolutely perfect.

faulknersj likes this.
  5. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef is modulating in time. Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Sweet man! I would throw some reissue lollipops on there.. but as you can tell, I like lollipops. :) It is a '66 after all. I can hear what you mean about it having a sort of compressed tone on the vid, sounds great!

faulknersj likes this.
  6. radicaldreamers

radicaldreamers

Apr 21, 2014
    I considered buying one of these last month! Went with the JB62-US instead. Still incredibly high-quality MIJ craftmanship, but the pick ups are US made. Are the MIJ pick ups that much better you think? Mine was a hundred dollars less though, I think, and I'll probably end up changing the pick ups within a year or two regardless just for variety anyhow.

faulknersj likes this.
  7. Apolicious

Apolicious

Jan 16, 2014
    Livingston, MT
    Brilliant, brilliant choice. The custom shop seems to nail strats, but when it comes to bass... yeah, Japan blows the US out of the water. She's an absolute beaut. And the Bass Place is the absolute shizz. Back in the day they let lil' 16-year-old me play a custom Elrick without blinking an eye.

Just... re-wind that G string. The spacing is throwing my OCD into overdrive :p

faulknersj likes this.
  8. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Nov 13, 2007
    Excellent. Kudos
    From what I learned, and I learned enough, If I'm gonna buy a Fender Jazz Bass, it will likely a MIJ

faulknersj likes this.
  9. Its really hard to tell without knowing what those sound like....and i think the best pick up choice for each bass depends on its inherent character + your tonal goals.

I really really like these pups in THIS bass. The video i posted is a really good representation of what they sound like imo.

I'd love to see pics of your JB62-US if possible :)

10. That bound neck with the color-matched headstock looks SO custom. I love it!

faulknersj likes this.
  11. SickAura

SickAura Let There Be Rock

Dec 8, 2013
    Toronto-ish
    Congrats - beautiful bass. I haven't had a chance to try one of these MIJ's yet but your review makes me want to seek one out

12. Great looking bass. I'm really loving the bound and blocked with the white - have fun with it!

13. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Awesome!! Congrats!

14. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    Very nice, I look forward to seeing/hearing clips of your own if you get a chance ... I have always enjoyed your playing ...

.. this looks like a small fretboard radius (7.25"?) ... are you able to get a fairly accurate weight on it?

...thanks for posting and the pics!

Edit to add: .. I would also be interested to hear what you end up trying and settling on for string choice for it.. thanks!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  15. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    Yes... bloody stunning. Well done!

16. It weighs 9lb's. As far as strings...I am really digging the strings it came with. I usually replace bass strings with the same strings it had when I got it because the tension is typically the same. This prevents me from having to set my bass up again. I have to do a fair amout of slapping on Old School Funk tunes...which really helps to keep string brighter so I really end up changing strings every 6 months to a year.

Here's what I mean: :).

meatwad likes this.
  17. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef is modulating in time. Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    They way he keeps saying "you just slap the sheeeet out of the strings" cracks me up!

18. Seriously!! Cracks me up every time!

19. Needenaneden

Needenaneden

Feb 22, 2011
    Any of these for sale in Canada? Made in Japan Fender quality is awesome!

20. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021