1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD!-Fender Jazz Content!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by faulknersj, Aug 9, 2018.

1. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    I went into Guitar Center to see if a P-Bass I played a couple weeks ago and really liked was still there. It was, and I spent about an hour playing all the USA Fenders they had. There were 2 P Basses I really liked, and was digging a couple of the American Professional Series Jazz Basses, and an Adam Clayton signature jazz. They had 3 Fender Elite 5 String basses (I already own a 4 String Elite Jazz, and an Elite PJ)on the wall. I have probably played about 15 of the Elite 5 String Jazzes in the last several months, and really dig the neck profile, but I haven’t found one that I had to have. I was pretty sure that I had played the 3 5 String Elite Jazzes on the Wall, but decided to play them any way. The first was Champagne with a maple neck...the passive active switch was broken and it was cutting in and out. The next one was Natural with a maple neck...it almost sounded muted. The last bass I played was a 5-String Ocean Turquoise with torte guard. I was pretty sure I had played it before. I plugged in and when I hit the B String, I knew this was not the same one I played before. Within 5 seconds of noodling around I was awestruck. I have probably owned 80 Basses in my life. I have a stable of about 10 that I could never let go. This bass is honestly the best playing, best sounding bass I have ever played. And I recognized it instantly. I was not in the market to make a purchase at all, but something akin to panic set in at the thought of not acquiring this special instrument. I literally went straight to the counter, negotiated a bit, and left with my new purchase as quickly as possible. I almost felt like I had pulled one over on everyone. This was so unexpected!

I love the color and pickguard combo, but am guessing it doesn’t appeal to everyone. What do you guys think of it?

I never know if I really like a bass until I hear it in the mix with a band. The next night I went to a jam I frequent, and once again was just floored.

Here she is along with a video clip of my buddy Mike playing it so I could get it on video. It is in passive mode on this clip. It sounds good on the video but in person...it was ridiculous!

706E3596-F344-43EF-AB17-E2AA7B68DABA.
    1E399CB0-8F66-4E89-ACA3-972CDA28F741.
    43825E4E-0BB3-478F-A528-6210335E7F62. 82DA0779-0DE8-4F9C-99AA-0E4C8B16A131.
    76ACCEE5-0B5F-4705-B181-F1608C7AF831. D3A8D287-8F3E-40A7-9832-5F358C47F5BF.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    Bluzman99, Elusive1, ppiluk and 57 others like this.
  2. Farseer

Farseer

Dec 22, 2014
    Parker, Colorado
    WOW.Very nice. Sounds really good!

jamro217, lowdownthump and faulknersj like this.
  3. faulknersj

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    Thank you! My buddy who plays bass for Sister Sledge played it later on this night and was super stoked on it! The video sounds good but doesn’t capture the full breadth of the tight deep bottom end that was present in person.

4. jshinal

jshinal

May 28, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    Oh man, Soul Power ! I was bouncing here at work. :bassist:

Your bass sounds FAT and deep and just terrific. You used the method I've had the most success with - play and shop until you are sick of it, and then when one really has the magic you will notice it. You have a keeper for sure, and the neck wood and inlays look beautiful.

5. faulknersj

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    Thank you very much! I am blown away by the neck on this. A lot of 5 String Basses fatigue my hands, but after hours of play my hands still feel great. The other thing about this bass that pictures can’t capture is the way it sets up. The action is incredibly low even in the upper registers.

I am stoked! Thanks for chiming in!

6. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    wow, I was hoping to see a picture of a Jazz Elite V with that color. Could be a purchase in the near future. Thanks for posting.

jamro217, MoeTown1986 and faulknersj like this.
  7. faulknersj

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    Thank you brother! I am stoked on this bass! I hope you find the right one for you!

Spidey2112, lowdownthump and Correlli like this.
  8. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    This works for me !!

jamro217 and faulknersj like this.
  9. redwingxix

redwingxix Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2015
    detroit
    That color combo is so awesome I'd want for that alone, but playability and tone, too? niiiiiiiice.

lowdownthump, jamro217 and faulknersj like this.
  10. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Congrats! I’ve been drooling over that exact bass since that color came out. I have a white deluxe and sienna burst deluxe just like it. They’re great basses. Enjoy!

11. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I can usually get them down to near 30% off, by playing the theme from Seinfeld...

... over and over, and over again...

... practically begging, "If we take 40% off, will you never come back?"

12. smtp4me

smtp4me

Sep 30, 2013
    Philadelphia, PA
    Very nice! And your friend (Mike?) who is playing, has some skillz...

13. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    That's gorgeous love that color combo and it looks like a custom shop bass. Fender is hitting bombs out of the park with their current lineup of guitars and basses.

14. navijaz

navijaz

Sep 20, 2016
    MAN! That is one pretty bass!

And I really enjoyed the video you posted. Great jams you got going there.

Thanks for posting!

15. The Chuck

The Chuck

Dec 11, 2013
    Wilmington, NC
    Nice! I love it. And that snare is CRACKIN!

16. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    You did well. :thumbsup:

But is it heavy?

17. Skullheadrac

Skullheadrac

Jun 13, 2018
    So Cal
    hell of a bass!

18. 3 comments:

1. Congratulations for your purchase, I also like that particular model a lot!
    2. You constitute an example of the bass-player occasionally affected by acute, rush GAS attacks!
    3. Don't say that a Fender Am. Elite 5 strings bass sounds so good 'cause if the Sadowskians hear you ... OMG

;)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  19. phillipkregg

phillipkregg Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Love the color, these are my favorite Fender jazz basses at the moment.

From my experience, these blue ones usually run a little lighter than the other colors for some reason.

20. Road Hat

Road Hat Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2008
    NorCal, USA
    Wow man, beautiful bass! I’ve never seen that color before, and I’m floored! Also, your playing is monster! It really sounds good, deep and pulsing, and I really dig your style. Congrats!

SirMjac28, jamro217 and faulknersj like this.