1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD - Fender Jazz Deluxe V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by evilbiscuit, Jan 19, 2012.

1. evilbiscuit

evilbiscuit

Jul 21, 2010
    Been wanting one of these beauties since I first picked up a bass, and this one just fell into my lap during a trip to the local GC. Used, $350. They even threw in a new set of strings, battery and a quick setup before I left. Given the superior condition it's in, I'd call that a steal.

photo.

photo1.
    I think the pickguard has been changed sometime in this bass's lifetime - notice how the control plate no longer sits flush.

photo2.
    Can anyone tell me what pickups these are? The tech didn't think they were the stock Deluxe pups, and ventured the guess that they might be old Rio Grandes. I haven't pulled them out to look at the bottoms, but I don't see a stamp anywhere else on them.

photo3.

photo4.
    Serial makes it a Mexican-made, from 98-99.

photo5.
    Better shot of the Gotoh tuners, plus a long look at the figured maple neck.

Looks good, plays like a dream, sounds like a monster. Deep, warm tones for days. My only issue currently is that the pickups seem unbalanced - I get WAY more bottom end than I do top - but I can fix that with some adjustments to the pole pieces.

2. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Pretty sure those pickups are the stock ones. They early deluxes came with Suhr pickups I believe?

3. fabubass

fabubass

Jan 13, 2006
    Exactly right, I have 2 Mexi- Deluxes; '97 and '02, Both are Suhr pickups. They have the large pole pieces. Enjoy, Bass looks really nice, I also think that is the stock pick guard, The Deluxes come stock with the tortise shell pick guard

4. Marihino

Marihino

Mar 25, 2010
    London
    that's a beauty, I really like this model, especially in the five string version. Do those old ones also have a pau ferro fretboard? I see some nice figuring on the back of the neck there, cool :) Congrats!

5. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    Right , the pickups and preamp are Suhr , doesn't get much better . The board is Pau Ferro . I had a four string one of these years ago , very nice .

Good score and good price !