1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD Fender Kingman V2 ABG

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Queue, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Queue

Queue

Jul 5, 2013
    DC Suburbs, USA
    New (to me) is this Fender Kingman V2!

I think it was September when I first began GASsing for one of these. I have a 30" scale Squier Jag SS, and a second-hand Oscar Schmidt 32" ABG. I play the ABG a lot, from practicing at home, to impromptu jams, and recently, for COVID visits with my brother (guitar player) to see my mother who is in an Alzheimer's wing of the hospital near my brother. The reason I wanted to switch to the V2 was to have the same scale as my Jag.

I'm a bit of a bottom feeder when it comes to buying instruments, so I was having a hard time looking at the $599 price tag on these things. But my birthday was coming up, so I could justify a little cash outlay... Then, I came to realize that these things were becoming a rare commodity! All the big online retailers, and even all the brick and mortars near me, and even Fender.com were sold out! (They still are...) I resigned myself to the fact that I'd have to wait for some new ones to come from Indonesia, and/or watch for a used one to pop up. (Most of the used ones right now are going close to the full retail price, plus shipping! yikes!)

Late September, I found one on GC online at a great price, and pulled the trigger. About 5 days later, I picked it up at my local GC. It looked and felt really nice. There were a few buzzes way up on the fretboard, and I could see a bit of ski jump, but I took it home anyhow, because I got it for a really good price, and knowing I had 45 days to return it. I've cleaned it up, replaced the strings (currently has D'Addario Chromes), and tweaked the truss rod, and leveled a few frets, and it feels and plays wonderfully. Even though I've had to do some work, I'm keeping the bass. These things are just too hard to come by. I'm going to try some Tapewounds, as the tension is much lower than the flats, and I'm hoping that will help with longevity. (But will require some nut work, as the tapes are a little larger gauge.) I may replace the saddle too, as the current one is flopping around in the bridge, and that can't be the greatest thing for the piezo pickup. I like to tinker, so we'll see. :)

Looking forward to taking it to see mom soon.

Here she is:
    20201006_112529.jpg

Upon arrival... (with the clangy phosphor bronze strings, and a like-new gig bag)
    20200930_224612.jpg

Thirsty bridge:
    20200930_230528.jpg

That's better:
    20200930_231428.jpg

Someone forgot to drill and screw one of the holes on the A string tuner?
    20200930_232404.jpg

Here's a visit with mom, and my original ABG. The Kingman sounds better both plugged and unplugged.
    117951605_10219127437310193_3766922775369844832_o.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Queue

Queue

Jul 5, 2013
    DC Suburbs, USA
    Funny thing...
    When this video went viral, I HAD to learn this song. It wasn't until I'd bought myself a Kingman that I realized that Curt was playing one! Subliminal GAS?

B-Mac likes this.
  3. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

How did your Mom like it?
    Is she in a Nursing Home?

4. Queue

Queue

Jul 5, 2013
    DC Suburbs, USA
    She's yet to hear the new bass, I'll bring it next time we visit. It is a wing of the hospital near where my brother lives, but essentially a Nursing Home. She's pretty far gone with Alzheimer's, so she's non-communicative at this point. She does enjoy the music, as evidenced by some head bobbing in time etc. The music is fun, as visiting for a half hour with someone who doesn't speak can be a bit of a challenge.

B-Mac likes this.
  5. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

God Bless you.
    I miss my Mom. Lost her 5 years ago. She was 89.
    Treasure these moments.

Queue likes this.
  6. Queue

Queue

Jul 5, 2013
    DC Suburbs, USA
    Thanks, sorry about your mom. Such is life. I'm thankful she's still alive, and we are able to visit her. We definitely jump at the opportunity to visit. They say with Alzheimer's you lose your loved ones twice. It has been several years since mom and I had a real connection. She does seem to enjoy the music. We try to pick out songs we remember her enjoying when we were kids. Last time we visited, we added "Both Sides Now" to the "setlist".

B-Mac likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 14, 2021